Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Model 52 For Me

Been looking for one of these for awhile. I mistakenly bought a model 50 on Ebay some months ago, and it came damaged. The seller paid me back and let me keep the left overs of the set, which isn't too bad. But this one better be packaged more carefully.

http://cgi.ebay.com/230051738374

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

n9vu Wrote:Been looking for one of these for awhile. I mistakenly bought a model 50 on Ebay some months ago, and it came damaged. The seller paid me back and let me keep the left overs of the set, which isn't too bad. But this one better be packaged more carefully.

http://cgi.ebay.com/230051738374

Whoops!! Looks like this is a model 51 versus a model 52. My question is was there ever a model 52? Didn't see on on philcoradio dot com.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Yep.... Model 52 is identical to Model 51, 24 and 551. All used same chassis, just different cabinetry. See Ron's gallery here on his site - Fall 31 thru June 32 sections of the Gallery.

Hi Gary

A link to a picture of a Model 52B:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1932b.htm#q

Congratulations on your find, and a good price, too. Yes, your eBay win is a Model 51. The 51 and 52 chassis are the same, however - just different cabinets. Hope your win arrives undamaged...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

Good to hear from you. Sorry we never got together when you were in town last time, but I'm sure there will be another event.

I hope it's not damaged as well. I questioned the seller before hand and asked if he could remove the speaker and pack separately, even if he had to cut the wiring. Too late he said, he double boxed it. Let's see if the speaker doesn't pull inside on this one. This was a rush buy. I think I did OK even with shipping.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Chuck Schwark Wrote:Yep.... Model 52 is identical to Model 51, 24 and 551. All used same chassis, just different cabinetry. See Ron's gallery here on his site - Fall 31 thru June 32 sections of the Gallery.

Thanks for the information as well, Chuck.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Well she arrived today, AND in one piece. Packaging was redone at my request at no extra charge. This is a nice smaller cathedral. It was so happy to be unpacked it SQUEELED with excitment, LOL. I can imagine that it's going to take some recapping to get that taken care of. Set appears to be untouched.

Thanks all for your response and encourgment,

Gary

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Glad to hear this one arrived OK, Gary. Icon_smile Should be an easy recap. Enjoy!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Glad to hear this one arrived OK, Gary. Icon_smile Should be an easy recap. Enjoy!

Hi Ron,

Well in dealing with other sets, problems, and solutions I know I ran across another SQUEALER and the recap did justice to that set. Hopefully it will be for this one.

Thanks for your input and help. BTW I still have the model 16. I wouldn't part with it especially as I bought another chassis for it cheap at the last big ARCI swap meet. Talk about a set with potential. If I only knew more about cabinet restoration. Icon_smile

GB

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Well, recapping was sort of easy. You know how those bakelite blocks can be wedged inside. With that the squeel for the most part has gone away, I get volume, but just static, radio noise, and a signal generator indicates no real signal is being heard.

Any ideas? Recommendations? Me thinks some sort of oscillator circuit or an open or malfunctioning coil may be to blame?

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

An open coil winding in RF or OSC or IF. The green corrosion disease.

Check coils/transformers #2, 5, 8, 12, and 16 for continuity of windings.

Chuck Schwark Wrote:An open coil winding in RF or OSC or IF. The green corrosion disease.

Check coils/transformers #2, 5, 8, 12, and 16 for continuity of windings.

Any idea how to check the continuity of these?

Thanks!!

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

With your VOM or VTVM on the OHMS setting. Radio UNPLUGGED and electrolytic caps discharged FIRST. Icon_smile

Hi Gary

What Chuck said, PLUS:

Check and clean the tube socket contacts. You may have to carefully tighten the metal "fingers" that contact the individual tube pins on each with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

I just finished working on a Model 50 yesterday. Upon initial power-up it had the classic symptoms of a bad 1st RF coil - very poor reception unless you put your finger on the 1st RF tube grid cap. Pulled the coil and it was good! Then I noticed that wiggling the tube made the set try to work correctly. Cleaned and tightened the tube socket contacts and VOILA, proper reception.

On your set, I would suspect the oscillator circuit first, chiefly the oscillator coil.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the advice, and thank YOU Chuck, too. I should have used my experience to answer this question as well. I have a model 70 with the same past symptons as the set you mentioned, and resolution was simular to the point of strong good reception without touching the tube grid cap.

One question but I'm not too clear on this. How do you check conductivity across the coils for good or bad? Also I have a 50 chassis (non working). Do you think I can salvage the coils off of that chassis if need be?

As usual I thank you for your answering and advice.

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Hi Gary

What Chuck said, PLUS:

Check and clean the tube socket contacts. You may have to carefully tighten the metal "fingers" that contact the individual tube pins on each with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

I just finished working on a Model 50 yesterday. Upon initial power-up it had the classic symptoms of a bad 1st RF coil - very poor reception unless you put your finger on the 1st RF tube grid cap. Pulled the coil and it was good! Then I noticed that wiggling the tube made the set try to work correctly. Cleaned and tightened the tube socket contacts and VOILA, proper reception.

On your set, I would suspect the oscillator circuit first, chiefly the oscillator coil.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU