Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1209

Just did my first recap on a 46-1209. When I turn it on I hear a strange noise as the tubes are warming up. Sounds like it is coming from either the 6v6's or the 5y3. I don't smell anything burning and any advise would be helpfully. I did not let it fully warm up.

Thank you

Need more details. Describe the noise. Why do you think that it is coming from the tubes that you mentioned?

Will the radio play despite the "sounds?"

It's like a ticking sound. I don't want to let it power up all the way. I don't want it to short out. I never heard that before

Hmmm.. Radios often make different sounds as they power up.

It's up to you. Are you using some kind of circuit protection? If so, and you are sure that nothing is smoking or overheating, then letting the set warm up should be ok.

Here's an update I tried it again and no ticking sound. I let the radio power up all the way. The radio is still not working but the record player is working. However I have to put the volume to full to hear it

Turns out needle was not in tight seems to be working fine. But still no radio any suggestions ?

If the recap is all OK, you could try replacement tubes.

Did you do any measurments?
I have a 47-1230 (sibling model to the 1209) and the documents available for these models offer lots of troubleshooting, especially points to test with expected values. This would give you a lot of info on what's going on.
If something is wrong with any of the caps or resistors, or with the tubes, you could end up with bad voltages, and not have good results. But the philco service manual has lots of info on what could be going on.

BTW there's TONS of caps on those models, did you change all of them? Its quite an undertaking as a first project (I know, trust me, mine isn't comlpeted yet)

-Mars

Yes I got all the service from chuck. I am looking at it now

Ok so I used .1 mfd instead of 100mmf so I'll order the correct caps and try again. There are 2 of these if I remember. I hope this will restore the radio. Also I have a 7n7 where the 7af7 should be I sure it's ok but just want to check

I am not sure about 7N7 to replace 7AF7 - is it listed somewhere about being a valid substitution?

I know they are both dual medium mu triods... and I am really not an expert substitution guy, but what the schematics tell me is that the 7N7 heater uses twice the current that the 7AF7 does; that could cause issues I guess.

I know the Sylvania 7af7 specsheets state that the specs are similar to the 7N7, but also point out the lower interelectrode capacities.

Your bad value caps as well could cause issues, depending what/where they are. I'd start by that and see where it goes.

But really, the best is to follow the steps in the service manual. It was made to diagnose what's wrong on the radio and pinpoint what to change.

-Mars

Hi Philco4me,
Yes, the .1 cap would definitely not work in place of the 100pf (mmfd) cap. Especially if it was in an RF section.
Generally, some of us don't replace the smaller mica caps unless there is an issue.
Let us know if replacing the cap with the correct size gets the set playing.

By the way, I didn't see any substitute listed for the 7N7.

You should get a 7N7 eventually, but set should play with 7AF7 OK until you do.

Its the other way around, the radio calls for a 7AF7 but he had a 7N7. The specs are very similar on most points.

-Mars

chuck who im going to need service info for my 1209 too david

Of course Marsupial is correct. Read the post too fast.