Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Acoustic clarifier why?

A few years back, I helped a fellow collector repair the chassis on his 37-116.

When we had it ready to reinstall into the cabinet, I noticed some speakers which lacked voice coils in them. I found later that they were called "Acoustic clarifier speakers" which I assume work off of the sound waves bouncing around in the back of the cabinet?? (btw. This thing sounded amazing all put back together!)

The reason for my inquiry is, recently a member was looking to purchase one which was missing in his 37-116, I wonder if a similar sized speaker would work ? (not electrically connected of course)

Just curious.............

Chuck

They are tuned passive radiators (along with the back cover to the cabinet) to dampen out cabinet resonance peaks to smooth out the overall sound response from the set.

See my site: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip38.htm

Accoustic Clarifiers are described farther down in the article.

Adding a non-working speaker in the hole probably won't make any "Golden Ear" difference. I'd just cover the hole on the inside with some cardboard.

If the back of the set is missing on the lower portion where the speakers are, then the Accoustic Clarifiers really are not doing anything.

Hey Thanks, Chuck. These things are much more complicated than I imagined.

I do recall though that his radio sounded like crap until the back was in place, then it was like a concert hall!

Interesting those "Accoustic Clarifiers" seem to do for the radio/sound like my "Tuned Bilstein Shocks" do for my off road suspension on my truck.....

Regards, Chuck btw. yours is also a nice web site.

Chuck, I'll have to make a back for my own 38-116, when I get around to restoring it next year. Was the original back made of Masonite?

Tim KA3JRT

Pressboard, but thin masonite will work. You should be able to find a picture somewhere so you can copy the hole patterns and layout.

Chuck Schwark Wrote:Pressboard, but thin masonite will work. You should be able to find a picture somewhere so you can copy the hole patterns and layout.

Tim, Chuck sure knows the stuff on these. It's been about three years ago that I helped my friend with his.

I do recall that the sound with the chassis on the bench w/speaker on the board was very non-impressive. The sound was only marginally better when mounted in the cabinet............What a difference when the back was installed. ( now i understand why.)

I remember the toughest part of my restoration was all of the caps/blocks in this chassis. Not to mention completely rewiring all of the dial light assemblies. ( it seems that over half of the lamp sockets had shorted internally)

Chuck