Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My New Philco 15x

Bob, thanks for a closer look on your audio transformer, mine is the same, does yours have anything stamped or inscribed on the clam shells? Mine has nothing, I though Philco stamped all there transformers, I might be mistaken though. Thanks

Jon

No marking on mine either. Also, none on the filter choke.

Good, thanks for checking, they are original then, I'm glad to hear that.

A belated welcome, Jon! And congratulations on your acquisition of one of Philco's neatest consoles. When you have it all finished, you'll like how the grille area lights up when the set is on (assuming you install a new appliance bulb in place).

As Bob (bandersen) told you previously, the original power transformer was vertical mounting, part no. 6672. Here are the specs:

Primary 110-115 volts, 60 cycle AC
High Voltage Secondary: 720 VCT @ 145 mA DC
Filaments: 6.3VCT @ 5 A
Rectifier Filament: 5V @ 2A

If you can't find an original, a Hammond 274BX will work - be aware that its B+ (high voltage) is somewhat higher at 750 VCT but this will translate to roughly 15 volts more B+. This can be left alone, or compensated for with a dropping resistor. The 5V and 6.3V windings have higher current capability (always a good thing), but note that the 5V winding in the Hammond has a center tap which will be unused and will need to be carefully taped off.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN