Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More Bass Please!

I guess I never noticed the bass response on my Maggie RS. I use it as my garage radio and it has the optional FM module so I can listen to Lady Gaga if I wish. The bass control is variable but the treble is fixed multi-settings. I keep the bass turned all the way and then I play with the treble to change the sound. I believe its actually a variable IF control labeled as treble.

Now that I think about it, the bass is not a thumper like other brand sets I have. Lots of volume though and pretty good on small station reception.

Is this the FM module that I guess Maggy offered as an add-on and that fits in the shelf below the receiver? I'm expecting one any day and am anxious to see how it does on sensitivity. I was told it mounts upside down??

It mounts upside down in most models...

...but in the Regency Symphony, it was supposed to mount right side up.

The one I have mounts right side up, but does not have the front panel/escutcheon. I'll have to make one for it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ah. That explains it. My cabinet has I think four mounting holes already drilled in the shelf. Hopefully the front panel on the one I'm getting can be turned around. From the picture it looks like it might be in kind of rough shape, but guess these things are kind of scarce. I remember having a console several years ago that did have one installed, but don't recall which model it was. It did not have a separate amp chassis as I recall so was not a Symphony. Maybe a Belvidere? Seems like they made several very similar models that had everything on one chassis with a pair of 6V6's for the amp. Just received a Maggy field coil speaker with tranny attached and seven pin plug. It is for use with a CR187 chassis. Only thing is that I don't have a PF for that particular model number. The Sams that I do have calls for a 1000 ohm field coil. The speaker I just got has about 500 ohms, so I put a 500 ohm wirewound resistor in series and it seems to work just fine. Think I'll get a little higher wattage resistor as this one is getting a little warmer than I'd like. But, on the other hand, I'm not sure what value the field coil should really be so---. Maybe it isn't that critical? Is there any way to identify the maker of speaker? The numbers on the back probably give a clue to manufacturer. I believe some of their speakers were made by Quam, any way the Quam replacements have very similar numbers to the ones on my Symphony.

Grr, these audiophools are going to ruin the radio hobby like the garden tractor pullers pretty much ruined the antique garden tractor hobby around here! Are these phools here in the US or in another country? I know Japan was big after things for a while. Sorry for the late response, we had power knocked out from the storms and then lost the internet due to the phone line conking out for a day. I was always hoping to find a maggie tweater for my Windsor, but that seems nigh impossible at those prices.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Apparently the Audiophools specifically want Jensen speakers, no idea the reason why but we don't call them audiophools for nothing, likely someone's brother in law's third cousin twice removed told them it was the thing to have. I just found a listing for a 12 inch Magnavox speaker on that usual auction site that the guy is selling because he bought a Jensen cabinet thinking it had a Jensen in it but ended up with the Maggie instead. From my experience an average Magnavox is as good as a high end Jensen, Jensen made some good speakers but made a lot of cheap crap AC/DC set grade ones as well. In addition to Maganavox there is Utah, Rola, and Quam, all of which are as good if not better then Jensen, to say nothing of Phillips, and the various British, German, and Japanese made speakers.
For some reason somebody got it into their pea sized brain that an electrodynamic speaker gives better fidelity, well if they did then why did all of the high end hi fi speakers of the 1950s and 60s use pemanent magnets? Well they didn't, the frequency response is better on a PM speaker to say nothing of the omnipresent background hum you get from a field coil. It's the latest fad, just like using a Microsynchronous Victor amp chassis was all the rage a few years back because a few sleezeballs told the Japanese guys that they were made by Western Electric. But then again some of these guys think a tube rectifier gives better sound even though it's function is no different then a silicon diode. Do these idiots not believe that they made some improvements to amplifiers and speaker technology even later in the tube era? They even have some amplifiers using mercury vapor rectifiers in the power supply yet they worry about getting "clean" power from the wall outlet????? What I wonder is what happens to their "setups" after the next big thing comes along, like stuffing cow manure in the speaker enclosures to give it a more "Earthy" response, for example?
Regards
Arran

Right On! It seems like some of these audiophools, or whatever you want to call them have way too much $$$ to fool with and very little up in the head. They just want to gloat over having this or that with a famous name. I mean, the more it costs must means it's better. Fooey - or I suppose it should be Phooey!