Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My tallest Philco console

Bought this at a suburbia estate sale. It clearly had been taken care of and the condition is a 10/10. The tapestry is great and the finish, except for some minor scratches on the top, is mint! And it works Icon_eek. All for $32. I'm a happy fellow.

[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...ile-25.jpg]

[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...ile-28.jpg]

[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...ile-29.jpg]

Great find!

She's beautiful. 32 bucks? Man I live in the wrong part of the country.
Here in Southern California, anything made before 1970 is a "rare unique antique" and the decimal gets moved over a notch (the wrong way).

Keep one hand in your pocket

Quote:She's beautiful. 32 bucks? Man I live in the wrong part of the country.
Here in Southern California, anything made before 1970 is a "rare unique antique" and the decimal gets moved over a notch (the wrong way).

That's why you never pay what they are asking and make an offer, there are clueless people asking all sorts of outrageous prices for things but in a recession economy it's the buyer that sets the price.
Regards
Arran

Actually, Arran, radios go for more $$$$ in California. Less radios, higher demand, and collectors on the Left Coast apparently have more spending cash than we do in the Midwest. (But we have more radios...hahahahaha) Icon_twisted

To the OP (DKinYORKpa): Congratulations on a great find! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I wish I had more spending cash. Nope, when I see a radio I like, I spend the food money and go on a diet of Frijoles y Aroz con Torlillas (basically a bean and rice burrito) for a week (or two). My family learned this from our neighbors (we live closer to Mexico than the next U.S. state).

Keep one hand in your pocket

Quote:Actually, Arran, radios go for more $$$$ in California. Less radios, higher demand, and collectors on the Left Coast apparently have more spending cash than we do in the Midwest. (But we have more radios...hahahahaha) Icon_twisted

I know they do but nobody anywhere is going to pay $600 for a cabinet stereo from 1965, that's just plain stupid, I doubt whether they could get $40 for one of those things even in Cali since they are such hogs for floor space. I've looked through some of the craiglist listings out that way and most prices, while not as cheap as the midwest, obviously, are not outside the bounds of reason. The fact is the the economy out there is in the garbage can so if something is just absolutely clueless on a price it's just going to sit there and rot.
When it comes to radios, especially floor models, I have an "I don't care" attitude, I have my price, if I can't get it for what I want to pay I walk. The trouble with new collectors is that they are so anxious to get anything, and so inexperienced with bargaining, that they don't know how to negotiate. It's been my experience that about 80%+ of the radios out there are being sold by people who don't know anything about what they have let alone what it's worth, they will price a 1960s cabinet stereo the same as a Philco 690 or a Bakelite set the same as a cathedral. Sometimes they will price something more just because it "works" and the other one doesn't, it isn't too difficult to get a price cut in half or better just because you show up with cash in hand ready to take it away, especially if it has been for sale for over a month.
Regards
Arran

Great highboy. What's the model number? Year made?

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

It looks like a Philco Model 87 Highboy De Luxe from 1929. I purchased one in similar condition from the local Craigslist for the princely sum of $40. The main flaw was that it had a hodgepodge of knobs, each one more incorrect than the last. I was able to secure a full set of all four proper knobs from eBay, thereby almost nearly doubling the value of the set (or at least my investment in it...like most radio guys, my grasp of the economics of these things is fuzzy at best Icon_biggrin)

Speaking of which, the on/off knob (lowest center) is incorrect. It should be a smallish, fluted and ridged affair in the shape of a top hat; it was used on several different Philco models. I believe that one of the radio suppliers makes a reproduction Model 20 knob that would be a closer approximation to what should be there than what is currently on the set, assuming you can't find an original someplace.

Also, inside the cabinet, there should be grill cloth covering the Fleur-de-lis cutouts on the sides. It is pasted directly to the wood. If I remember correctly, it is gold colored with a fairly open weave, sort of like burlap.

Don't think it's an 87 as it doesn't use a shield across the back. Maybe be a model 95
Terry

Terry is right. It's either a 76 or 95.

76 - 7 tubes
95 - 9 tubes

If it is a 95 then the OP has a historically significant radio as the 95 was Philco's first radio to include automatic volume control (AVC).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice find!

Quote:Terry is right. It's either a 76 or 95.

76 - 7 tubes
95 - 9 tubes

If it is a 95 then the OP has a historically significant radio as the 95 was Philco's first radio to include automatic volume control (AVC).

Ron;
I was thinking that it was probably the 9 tube chassis since it has that big shield at the back like my lowboy is supposed to have. I didn't know that the 95 had AVC? I thought maybe it was the model 96 that had it starting in 1930? It's been a while since I had the set out, it's tucked into a corner and needs some more cabinet work, and a pair of knobs. I must say that I prefer the highboy style cabinets to the lowboy but any cabinet with legs suits me fine, but I happen to be a sucker for any early AC set from 1927-33.
Regards
Arran

Yup, the 95 was Philco's first with AVC. Model 96 is just a refinement of the 95 that removed the local-distance switch and replaced it with a tone control.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It's a 95. And get this: when I untangled the wires, there were 2 cords with AC plugs on the ends. And they were taped together with electrical tape. So I removed all of the tape to reveal one cord that was the power. the other cord went to the ground, antenna and local posts. Yet it had an AC plug on it. I can think of a reason (some antenna hook up system) but an AC plug literally next to the real AC plug! That aside, what a serious piece of well made furniture. And it's huge.