Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IF Transformer rewire

I have a junk chassis for my 42-1010 that I'm restoring. I'd like to take the IF transformers off the junk chassis, replace the bad wire, clean them up, and put them on my good chassis. Most of the original wire is colid with brittle rubber insulation, or stranded with woven insulation. Can I replace everything with stranded 600v wire, or does it need to stay solid where it's already solid?

I would use solid wire to replace solid. Stability is the reason for using solid originally. It will stay where it is put and the alignment should remain stable. Stranded wire can move around and change the stray capacitance which will affect alignment.

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

Terry Judkins Wrote:I would use solid wire to replace solid. Stability is the reason for using solid originally. It will stay where it is put and the alignment should remain stable. Stranded wire can move around and change the stray capacitance which will affect alignment.

I'll hunt down the appropriate wire and wire it as was original.

HI Jon,

I agree with Terry's advice. But it should be added that if the wiring is intact but the only problem is the brittle/crumbling insulation, there is nothing wrong with leaving the original solid wire and slipping some heat-shrink or plastic insulation over top of it.

Poston