Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 80 JR not two tone

Are there Philco Model 80 radios that were the Jr model with beautiful real wood instead of the two tone finish.

Please see the pictures. I have recently got on board collecting Philco radios. I am an Atwater Kent Collector and I am expanding to other brands.

gpitt1960

No, your set has been stripped to bare wood. Looks like a light clear finish was applied after the cabinet was stripped. You should hope it isn't polyurethane...because that stuff is nearly impossible to remove.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Do you mean that all of the two tone radios had a beautiful solid wood behind the finish. Many post say that the front was flat and a neutral basic wood.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

All Model 80 sets were two-toned when they left the factory. A lot has happened to them in the 80 years that have passed since.

Some Philco models, notably the later 1935 and 1936 tombstones, have cheap white wood behind the very dark toner that was used on the top, sides and trim.

There must be some people that like the look of the cheap white wood, based on the number of 1937 Philco cathedrals and tombstones I have seen that have had all of their photofinish stripped off and refinished in a plain neutral color. Icon_thumbdown

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You can use the ultimate stripper, outdoors only, take 2 gallons of water in a galvanized pail, and stir in a whole can of lye if it is still available in your neck of the woods. Then add a cup or two of water in which a half box of cornstarch has been dissolved. Stir. The resulting mess will dissolve just about any finish. Brush on, or immerse, don't let dry, keep on brushing, blast away with fresh water hose. Best next to street drain. As I know, not any long term consequences. Of course eye goggles,gloves and old clothes. Not a great idea for immersion on thin veneer parts, but really OK for hard woods.

I think some of the issues with people stripping the photo finish is that they think it is real wood until it is too late. Also, my experience has shown that photo finish on alot of radios did not survive well. Whenever I hear about an early 40's or postwar Zenith, my first question is always about the photo finish. I have noted that even radios that are stored in a dry spot will sometimes start shedding the stuff if enough of a temperature change is experienced.

No matter where you go, there you are.