Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bought another console! Pictures added!

In addition to what Arran said...the Majestic chassis were much deeper than the Philco 111 chassis, so a Philco 111 cabinet could not hold a Majestic 90 series chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Bruce. Yes, I don't expect any great performance on the 111. My 112 is not particularly sensitive. Doesn't make much difference when you just listen to a couple local stations or my SSTRANS. Just like the styling.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Quote: Yes, I don't expect any great performance on the 111. My 112 is not particularly sensitive. Doesn't make much difference when you just listen to a couple local stations or my SSTRANS. Just like the styling.

Your experience does not reflect mine with an early AC superhet, most of the ones I restored are both quite sensitive and selective thanks to the lower If frequencies. If your set is insensitive then there could be a number of reasons, one reason may be that it needs a complete allignment. Another maybe that the carbon resistors have drifted so far off that the tube voltages are way off and gain is severely limited, it could also be weak tubes, a poor grid cap solder connection, or a flakey grid cap lead with an internal break in the wire. I think that Bruce may have been refering to the audio performance rather then the receiver performance, which would be pretty average for the time since most consoles in that era came with the same sort of push pull power output stage, a pair of push pull 45s, the high end sets used type 50s and later 2A3s.
Regards
Arran

Arran, I probably didn't make myself clear. I do not have a long wire on it, meaning I don't get a lot of stations. Those that do come in nice and clear and sharp on the tuning. I'm certain the radio would do nicely on a long wire. The sound quality out of my 112, is quite nice. Hope the 111 is as nice. Right now with nothing done to it, quite tinney. Shall see what happens as I get into it. Have not removed the bottom cover to see what has been done but from the top, other than tubes nothing. I guess I couldn't expect much from 5 feet of wire on my original test where we have very little AM stuff around within 300 miles. What is "local", very low transmitting power. We set in a major ditch which tends to attenuate FM bad and AM to a great extent.
My 112 was totally gone through and aligned, it has a 2 foot antenna and works well with the local and my SSTRANS. All I need.
Thanks for your input.
Jerry

I have an 111 and a 112, both after electronic resto are excellent receivers and players, especially when the local/distance switch is set on distance. No, they do not sound like a 38-116, but for an early Philco superhet they are very good.

Thanks TA, my 112 does sound very nice to my sad hearing. Can hardly wait to get into the 111. Does it sound like my Scott Metro, no. But nice! As soon as I start the restoration on the 111, I will be posting. Probably mostly about getting into the big can. Very different from the 112. Don't think I'm dissing the performance, just fine on a short wire for wimpy locals and great on the SSTRANS. No long wires in the house.
Jerry