Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

correct 42-380 color/did i kill it?

just picked up a 42-380 today at a local flea market. it's complete, paid 50.00 for it. which i think is a good deal. it was plugged in and slightly working at the flea market. i got it home and was able to get it to tune in am stations by turning the volume all the way up. then i unplugged it and moved it plugged it in again and heard a sizzling sound. quickly unplugged it, think the sound was coming from the transformer. hope i didn't kill it. sorry i've gotten off track here what i would like to know is about the cabinet (any thoughts on the sizzle problem please advise) it's in very good shape. just needs to be cleaned with 0000 grit steel wool and refinished. what would be the correct color of minwax stain to use? thanks for any input on both problems!!

Hi,
That sizzle is your transformer. No doubt the electrolytic capacitors are shorted and putting a direct short to your transformer. It could be fried but it maybe ok. I've heard them do that before and they were ok. A meter check could possibly tell you. Please don't plug it in again! This is for your own safety. The radio needs to be totally recapped and inspected for other defects. In answer to the cabinet I think using 0000 steel wool and GOJO hand cleaner (not the gritty kind) cleans a radio up very well. I think you will be suprised at the results. If you need a stain I would go with Special Walnut. Ron may have a better idea. The 380 is good playing radio when restored.

Hope this helps
Terry

Philco did not use stains. Toning lacquers were used to apply "color" to the cabinets.

Hi, This may seem like obvious advice but I know how bad these radio can look after years of sitting around . I taken some real beaters that started out looking like they need refinishing and just cleaned them.Start with a soft paint brush and get the dirt out of the cracks .Be careful not to wreak anything , take your time .Next just use a soft damp cloth and wipe the thing down rub the dirt off. Do not get bare spots wet as it will get under the finish. Stop . Come back in a couple days and do wet cloth routine again.Water will eventually take of most stuff (even the finish if it gets under it). Last use some murphy' oil soap and buff by hand . See where you are at and what you think.You can all ways refinsh it but original finish is great even if it is beat up some.If it is to far gone then find one that isn't for 50 bucks and save yourself alot of work.Redoing the finish on these correctly is an operation.Usually they can be cleaned up even when it looks bad. Any way it is not the type of thing that can be cleaned decent in one pass with out chemicals.
I have recaped one of these and it has worked for years now with original tubes.If you pay to have someone do it for you I am not sure what a fair price is. Make sure you know what that is before you go that route. Have a good one !