Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 37-630 volumn issue

Hi:

Am working on a Philco 37-630. Having a problem with the volumn /reception level. The set has a medium to low volumn and limited reception. However when I touch the grid cap of the 6A8G tube (Det/Osc) the set blasts away to the point you have to lower the volumn control along wihch you have a selection of many more stations.
. I have replaced all caps in the set so that should not be an issue. I tried a different 6A8G tube no luck. Also this problem happens on both the broadcast and shortwave bands alike, so I am not inclined to think its a coil problem, unless both coil sets for each respective band are shot. Alignment of the set did help a little but not enough to maintain the high volumn that I know this set can achieve. When using the signal generator the tone would also come in moderate to low and when the grid cap was touched it would blast away!! Besides keeping my finger on the grip cap when playing the set any suggestions?? Thanks.

There is a good chance both ANT coils are open sue to age or static discharges in the past. Also be sure of the continuity thru the bandswitch contacts as well for the ANT coil switch circuit.