Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Phurniture and Model 112 Lowboys

Drew asked in another topic:

Drew Wrote:I'm sort surprized these don't bring higher prices, such a nice console. We discused these in the Bel Geddes posting about a month ago...lots of interesting history go along with them. Question; any update on furniture factories related to the 112, mine has a stamp which says 'Factory 28'. Other factory numbers have been listed, I think Philcos with 'factory 16' stamp was Red Lion Furniture. I've been trying to find out who Factory 28 was for years?

Here are the factories/suppliers with known factory numbers, that made cabinets for Philco:

4 - Philco
8 - Philco
15 - Watsontown Furniture Company (later bought by Philco)
16 - Mengel Body Company
17 - Smith Cabinet Company
18 - Wabash Cabinet Company
19 - Maddox Table Company
20 - H.A. Prock Lumber Company
21 - Pennsylvania Furniture Company
25 - Red Lion Cabinet Company

Model 112 Bel Geddes lowboy cabinets were made at the following factories:

Philco (Plant 4) - 11,600
Strathroy Furniture Company - 915
Red Lion Cabinet Company (Plant 25) - 15,342
Canada Furniture Company - 500
Pooley Furniture Company - 500

TOTAL MADE - 28,857

I can't answer which plant was "Plant 28." I can say that Pooley made several cabinets for Philco, and as I recall seeing the "Plant 28" stamp before, there is a good chance it might be Pooley?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, Thanks for the list of cabinet makers, it's a important part of Philco history. Im getting closer to determining who 'Factory 28' was....if it was indeed Pooley, they were a very good quality cabinet maker, producing many fine pieces for Atwater Kent.
I'm surprized to see the 112 cabinet was made by at least five different companies. I guess this shows that radio cabinet production was large and complicated part of the final product back in the early 1930's. I'll add that my 112 has extra nice burled walnut veneer which is about 1/16th" thick (about twice the thickness of many cabinet veneers).
If anyone else has a 112, share it's 'Furniture Factory' number with us.

Drew

Ron, thanks for posting the cabinet list. Very interesting. I did an informal survey here and have three Red Lion's, one Mengel Body Company, and one unstamped (or at least that I could find).

I looked, and neither my 112 lowboy, nor a 112 highboy which I was able to see recently, have the plant stamping on back.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN