Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I have been bundled!

I had gotten a call about an odd, Halicrafters (SP?) Television a few weeks ago and today I finally got around to looking at it. It is a ten inch table model with early push-button tuning. Along with this TV set, I ended up getting a Zenith console radion tossed in with the deal. It is also a bit unusual. For one thing, it is a prewar console with a slide-rule dial, a first for me with Zenith. It also has a back that contains the antenna and when you pull that, you are looking at a small, six tube, transformerless chassis. If I recall, transformerless console radios aren't that common in the prewar years. Well, the guy wanted to sell both for one price and I loaded them up. The Zenith is complete except the tuning ring and band select knob and the cabinet is solid. It's just an unusual design that unfortunately included a crumbling asbestos pad under the chassis! Yech!!! That has been carefully removed and disposed of. I'll see if I can pull a model number off the tag.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Congrats!
Zenith looks like it will clean up nice.

Tim

I have to correct myself on the Zenith. It is a seven tube unit. I somehow overlooked a tube the first time. The tag on the back is gone, but I found 7-S-458 written in grease pencil on the inside of the cabinet. Hopefully that is the model number.

Yep, 7-S-458 it is. It has the suspect 6X5G rectifier tube so make sure it's the type with the "X" plates or replace it with a solid state replacement. Slide rule dials on Zeniths of that era are rare.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_7s45...h5724.html

[Image: http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/...163707.jpg]

Larry

Actually, this is the transformerless version of this model. I guess Zenith went through a spree of building both tranformered and transformerless models during this time. Probably makes it even rarer as I have yet to see a picture of one with the gold dial like mine.

I wonder if the Brand Z set was an export model? Does it use a ballast or have a dropping resistor with line voltage taps? It seems that the Z boys were reluctant to part with the big black dials as late as the 1942 model year, they just squared it off to make it look more modern.
With regard to the Hallicrafters TV I hope the picture tube and flyback are good, althought the picture tube is likely a 10BP4, a 10AP4, or something similar. I don't think it would use an electrostatic tube.
Regards
Arran

The Hallicrafters seems to have a good flyback and the CRT tested good on my tester. One reason why I went for it was because it was producing high voltage when tested.
The Zenith appears to be made for here. From what I have been finding out, Zenith went a little crazy for a while and these slide-rule style sets could be had with either a transformer or (possibly cheaper) transformerless sets.

Sounds like you ae good to go for puttering until well after the election. Do recap them before firing up again. If you need to replace sweep tube, etc... let us know in classified section. Most of us have boxes of stuff sitting around looking for a good home.