Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 15X-Cabinet questions

I have a question regarding wood used and proper method to restore.

1) Is any of the cabinet made from Photo Finish Material? My "inexperience" shows .. How can you test for Photo Finish vs Veneer?

2) The front dial faceplate area has the PHILCO decal. I don't know if I can gently strip / remove- and reseal a new one with laquer-- or is this on "Photo Finish

3) After I clean -strip the wood with 50/50 Thinner-Acetone - Is a Mohawk clear laquer apropriate to get original colors back or possibly a coat of light translucent brown? The posts columns are two-tone --would similar treatment work?

4) Dial-- I have white moldy film on the dial. Can this be cleaned with mineral spirits?

Hi

Answers to your questions:

1) Is any of the cabinet made from Photo Finish Material? My "inexperience" shows .. How can you test for Photo Finish vs Veneer?
Short answer - no, Philco did not photofinish on any of its cabinets in 1932. I'll leave the long answer of how to tell the difference to others, it would take me too long to explain. Icon_wink

2) The front dial faceplate area has the PHILCO decal. I don't know if I can gently strip / remove- and reseal a new one with laquer-- or is this on "Photo Finish
Some people have tried that in the past, not always with good results. The good news is, Radio Daze has recently corrected their PHILCO decals and their DCL-PH8 now looks like the original, so it would be easier to strip the entire front panel and apply a new decal before applying the final coats of clear lacquer. The finish will look better, also.

3) After I clean -strip the wood with 50/50 Thinner-Acetone - Is a Mohawk clear laquer apropriate to get original colors back or possibly a coat of light translucent brown? The posts columns are two-tone --would similar treatment work?
Clear lacquer won't bring back the coloring; only tinted lacquer will do that. Medium Walnut overall, or Perfect Brown if you want it a shade darker than Medium Walnut. Maison Brown on the dark areas.

4) Dial-- I have white moldy film on the dial. Can this be cleaned with mineral spirits?
Yes, mineral spirits is a recommended solution for cleaning translucent Philco dial scales. Don't apply a lot of pressure while rubbing, else the numbers will still come off slightly. And don't use water or any other solution or the numbers may come off completely!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I didn't know that the 1932 Philcos had water soluble on the dials? I thought that was more of a problem with the 1936-38 dials? The dial on the 90 chassis I have is fine, which is a 1931 set, and the one on my 3118 is fine and it's a 1934 set, it also came from a damp basement.
Regards
Arran

Better safe than sorry.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron. Thanks for the detailed answer. I plan on useing Mohawk perfect brown. A follow up on the results of stripping the laquer and stain with a 50/50 mix.. Will that remove the decorative gold painted lines that trim the top .. Will that come off? Or is there a better way to avoid , and will the perfect brown cover it ? Maybe masking before stripping and light stain? On that trim art area..

Ummm...there should not be any gold painted lines on a 15X. If any are present, they were added after the set left the factory.

But to answer your question...it depends on what type of gold paint was used.

Incidentally, Philco did not use stain on their cabinets...they used tinted lacquer to get the color, something that stain cannot duplicate.

Edit: I think I see what you are talking about now...on either side of the front panel, right? That is inlay veneer, not painted stripes. The inlay will not be adversely affected by stripping.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron. Yes the veneer on both sides of the front panel has decorative strip and the same type decorative strip that wraps around the top trim. So if it is veneer and I strip it, I hope decorative artwork stays intact? And I could spray with perfect brown?

My original plan was to wash down Everything with 50/50-- apply a sealer on the non-veneer light sand. Spray clear on all then brown coat on all then add decal then more clear ..

this one belongs to my Brother in law..[/i] I can't mess it up... I finally got the receiver up this weekend..