Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89

Hi all
I ran across a Philco 89 today, he wanted $50 for it. The cabinet is solid some veneer is missing on top, the rest of the cabinet is good. It will
have to be refinished. All knobs are on it and the chassis is clean. Is $50 a ok price?
Joe Icon_think

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Hi Joe
You could do a lot worst!! Seems fair to me as long as everything else is in good shape. Does it have all the knobs? Speaker in good shape?? Grill cloth good??
GL
Terry

Offer him $35 or $40 for it, veneer missing and a bad finish is always a good way to get a few $$ taken off, hopefull the knobs that are there are the correct ones along with the speaker. I take it that this is a floor model 89 and not a cathedral? The next question is do you like it? Is there anything about it you don't like? Could you see yourself restoring the set and living with it for at least a few years? You shouldn't buy a floor model just because it's cheap, otherwise you may get stuck with a garage and house full of stuff you don't really want and not have room for things you would rather have. Floor models are like four door sedans, they are more expensive to restore then a table model version of the same set, aren't worth any more, and are harder to sell.
Regards
Arran

More important...besides the speaker and grille cloth of course...does it have all of its tube shields? Unless it's a 1936 version with the square tube shields, it has large round tube shields that are becoming harder to find as time goes on.

That having been said...it may well be worth the $50 if it is a cathedral model. If it is a console, probably not as much.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN