Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 111 cabinet question final pics!

Hi, this is my newest Philco. The only area really bad is the underside of where the doors open. Appears to have been some scraping and the original color is off. What would you use to try to darken this area back? Of course I will also need to assure the doors don't scrape any further. Appreciate any advise.

Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...0005-2.jpg]

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Take a picture of it Jerry.

If that's the only bad place on your set, I (personally) would not mess with it.

Agree. Could put a lttle tinted bees wax. I think it would be reversible if need be.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of a tinted "bees wax". Would this be the same as those colored crayola type touch up crayons? This is the worse part of the cabinet. A nice water stain on the top but have that mostly minimized with a touch of stain to color and some drops of lacquer on the areas that are low due to loss of finish. A light sanding on these and a coat or two of lacquer on the top and all should come out level at least. Looks a lot better now.

Thanks,
Jerry

Looks like Mohawk Classic Dark Walnut would be a good match if yiu want to use a toner.

The 111 is a tough cabinet to find in decent shape, so an original in nice shape is worth preserving!

Thanks for the ideas. Will minimize any permanent changes on the finish.
Jerry

Here is a picture of the top with the water stain. The white area, what ever it was cleaned off with a little work. The hex area, well, no lacquer and down to bare wood. That I will have to contend with. Will show results when finished. I'm looking for flat and color not off too bad.
I just can't leave that like it is. Other minor blemishes fine.
Jerry

PS: It's OK to agree to disagree on this phorum.

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...e001-2.jpg]

I've used artist oils with a spotting brush to fix up the inevitable flower pot rings and dings. If you have an artist aaround, it should be pretty for them to do this. Might have to make 2 or more passes to get the repair to blend in. Then let it dry for a week. Then laquer, maybe satin would be better. Two or three coats.

In a case like that Howards finish restoration products might be just what you need.

TA, the howards may adjust the missing color but it will still leave a real dip in the finish. I want a nice flat top, true, the color should be right but the top is what you see. Especially if it had big dips in it. I will play around with it but don't want to strip and refinish. Hopefully I can get it color wise close and more importantly to me, nice and flat.
Thanks for all your ideas.
Jerry

Or get a flower pot same size, you know someone will do that anyway somtime in the future.

No, codefox, my wife makes lovely covers to set on the top of my radios. She also will stitch into them the Philco logo and the make and year of the radio. Saves dusting and those question like what is it and how old is it. Just like to get it close before covering it.
Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...300003.jpg]

Yuup!