Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radiola 46, good or bad radio?

I saw one of these for sale on CL with a group of radios and I have to ask if anyone here has ever experienced one of these consoles? It is the mate to the Radiola 66 and I love to have one, but have heard that they have a pot metal chassis. Is that true? If so, how bad would one of these be to repair?
Yeah I know, I am trying to avoid more big radios, but I am sucker for the Radiolas with the grill clothes like that.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hello, Jay: if it tries to steal your wallet, eat all your food, or make love to your wife, then it is probably a BAD radio.........Icon_wink

Don' think there ever was a pot metal chassis. Could be wrong an it wouldent be the first time

LOL! Yeah, that would make it a bad radio!
@codefox: Apparently it DOES have a pot metal chassis. The little tuner chassis is made from a block of cast pot metal. I guess GE had a few suppliers and depending on who cast it at what time the chassis is either solid as a rock, warped, or disintegrated. I did some research last night on the subject. This radio is part of a group of radios for sale in Parma, OH.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I then stand corrected. I'd probably pass on these.

I don't know much about a Radiola 46 but I own a Radiola 44 and they used a type of pot metal in the tuning chassis, but most don't disintegatrate so much as warp causing the plates to rub. The good news in the case of the Radiola 44 is that the stators are in seperate sections so you can move each section to cure the rubbing plates. It isn't an outstanding radio but not a bad one, it is only a TRF while other RCA sets were Superhets but TRFs can perform reasonably well onec everything is set up right.
One set I have heard of being a dog is a Radiola 33, they were a budget model with a steel cabinet, a true 1920s art deco steel cabinet, I have the matching speaker to a 33. If you can find one in good shape that's fine but the steel cabinet had pot metal corners which sometimes broke, and the steel panels had a faux woodgrain that is often worn off.
Regards
Arran