Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ready for warm tubes to warm my heart

I have recently inherited a Philco 41-265 console radio. I am very happy to have it and would like to show it some love to get it in a working condition.

The cabinet need only one minor repair. Other than that is shows the charm from years of use (I LOVE IT!) Even has the speaker and antenna in it.

The radio is where I run into trouble. I am missing the following things:
  • All knobs
  • Buttons and button assembly
  • Needle for the dial
  • Power cable

The radio seems to have had some batteries added to it (Idonno). Also, with the needle being missing, so is the wire on the pulleys for moving it.

Where do I begin? I need some help as I have never done this before. Is there a good source for parts? Is there anyone in Southern California willing to mentor me a bit? (I'm in Palmdale)

Thanks much.

Hi and Welcome to the Phourm!
For starters if you could post some pics of the chassis it would be helpful just to see what you've got. You can post here or something like Flicker but shoot us the link.
In 1939 and thru the war years Philco used rubber covered wire along with some other manufactures. Time has probably taken it toll on it. The rubber gets brittle and flakes off. Most of the time it will need to be replaced or recovered with shrink tubing. It is a fair bit of work to do.
Then there is the paper and electrolytic capacitors. Those will require replacement. Check the resistor to see if they are ok. The knobs and buttons shouldn't be a problem I think those are being made by some folks.
If you want to dive in there are lots of good guys here to help you along the way. Sorry I can't mentor as I'm in Pa.
GL my friend
Terry

Have you removed the chassis from the cabinet as yet? You may find the missing pointer once the chassis is removed, it is also an opportunity to survey how much work will be needed. As far as I know you can buy reproduction pushbuttons and knobs for the 1941 Philco models still, and you can buy some repro dial escutcheons as well, at least for the 8 and 9 pushbutton models. If you have one with 10 pushbuttons, and it has a plastic dial escutcheon, you are out of luck unless you figure out a way to make one yourself, your set does not have this problem, the escutcheon is a wooden molding built into the cabinet. The knobs appear to be of the same style as the Bakelite ones used on most Philco models between 1936 and 1940 so fairly common, I believe the pushbuttons were Bakelite as well and fairly generic in style. The 41-265 was the console version of the model 41-245 table set according to the gallery.
Arran

Should be no batteries required on this radio. Post some pictures if you can and perhaps someone can help you find someone locally that can help you. Should be nice restored.
All the help here if you wish to do it yourself.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.