Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please Help ID this Philco

I picked up this radio today at a swap meet and I'm having trouble identifying the model. Here's what I know.

There is a label inside with a cabinet part # of 10235-G.

There are two labels inside under the speaker as shown below with different Philco model #s. The tube layout label says 37-610 and it shows the modified rectifier tube location indicating a Code 122. The other smaller label says 38-610. I definitely have a 5-tube chassis.

[Image: http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg53...84015b.jpg]

I have Ron's Philco book and the radio looks like the 38-620T because it has the three horizontal light inlays across the dial and the grill matches. And according to Ron's book the 38-620T is a 6-tube radio. It's definitely not not the 37-610T pictured with the black racing stripes across the dial and then down to the knob, and a different grill pattern.

[Image: http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg53...56b493.jpg]

Unless somebody did some chassis/cabinet swapping at some point, I'm confused.

Can anybody help me figure this out?

Gary

This is a puzzler. I would say a chassis swap, but those decals look like they've been there for the life of the set. Also, I doubt someone would go to the trouble of trying to pry a sticker off the inside of the cabinet to go with the swapped chassis. Definitely odd.

No matter where you go, there you are.

There's a 37-610T in the "January 1937" section of the Photo Gallery that looks like this... sexy specimen, BTW.

It also would appear that Ron doesn't have anything other than a brochure photo for this model... Icon_smile

It's a 1938 Model 38-610.

I believe Philco "re-issued" the later production runs of the 1937 version again in 1938. Virtually same chassis. May have been "leftover" later Code chassis' used for the start of the 1938 production runs for Model Year 1938.

The "610's" were a very popular set.

Ron may be able to add.

Chuck

GaryM

While there is no record of a 38-610T, I am also aware that during this period, Philco used up excess 1937 stock in interesting and unusual ways.

I own a 38-643B cabinet. Only it isn't a 38-643 - it's identical in appearance to a 37-643B. Answer? Philco used up their excess stock of 37-643B/660B/665B cabinets by selling these as 1938 models.

I exchanged a few emails several months ago who owns a 38-690...that has a 37-690 upper and lower chassis inside. He swears it's original, said he bought it from the original owner. I believed him.

Now your 37/38-610T.

It is known that this cabinet was used for the 38-620T, 38-623T and 38-624T. It is entirely possible, also, that Philco may have had some 37-610T sets left over from the 1937 season, and probably sold them as 1938 models, even going to the trouble of affixing a "38-610" sticker inside. This would also explain the 37-610 tube layout sticker.

Unfortunately, there is no documentation for all of this, so we will probably never know all of the facts.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you all. Very interesting information. I'm looking forward to getting into the radio. I'll be ordering the schematics from Chuck soon.

Gary

I seem to recall that 1937 was a "recession" year, so a greater dip in the midst of the great depression. I remember hearing it refered to as the "Roosevelt Recession" since it happened on his watch and it was believed that his policies were to blame (which they probably were in hindsight). In any event if Philco had misjudged sales levels and sales, and the economy had shrunk for two consecutive quarters, then it's quit possible that Philco would have had some leftover 1937 model year cabinets and chassis to use up for the 1938 model year.
Keep in mind that the model year for radios then was similar to cars, the new year would begin in the late summer or early fall. In reading Ron's book Philco typically shut down the production lines some time during the summer months, normally June I think, so if there were any leftovers in June they would be held over until the line started up again. So the early 1938 models would have been made late in 1937 and they would have been assembled with whatever they had on hand and ready to go at the time.
Regards
Arran

I have the same cabinet that you have and mine was also somewhat confusing. It had two sticker on it, one on top of the other. Never could read the bottom one but it was obvious that the cabinet and been readied for one chassis and was ultimately refitted for another. So goes production at that time, extra cabinets and new chassis coming out (change of rectifier location) and change the sticker. Love the radio and it is my daily player in my shop. Great sound with that larger speaker than the smaller bullet radios. Enjoy yours.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I have a 38-2650 that is along the same lines. It is in the 1937 tombstone cabinet, but all labels are 1938. Agree that this is another example of the "transitional" models Philco often put out.

Another reason why Philcos are such a blast to collect.

Yep, 75 years ago, during the (last) depression, nothing was wasted. I never know what I'm going to find in an old set but am greatlly relieved when most if not all is original. I wouldn't have it if it didn't work reasonably well when it was new. It's the hack jobs that I most fear.

This brings something else to mind.

For the new 1939 season, Philco announced they were bringing back the 38-12, 38-14 and 38-15 "by popular demand" as the 39-12, 39-14 and 39-15.

Have any of you ever seen one of these radios labeled 39-12, 14 or 15?

I haven't.

I feel that Philco had unsold stock of these and continued to sell them into the 1939 season until they were all gone. Only this time, I don't think they relabeled them - they still had their 38-12, 14 or 15 stickers.

It was during this time that Philco was experiencing labor difficulties, and they probably had more important things in mind than relabeling leftover 1938 models.

One man's opinion...again, there is no documentation on this, other than Philco's including these models in their initial 1939 lineup.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I suppose I should start a registry of odd and unusual Philco sets.

I've seen things like a 1933 Philco 16L with a 1935 4-band chassis and rectangular dial scale...the front panel was cut for the rectangular dial scale at the factory. Unfortunately the cabinet was too far gone to save.
A Philco 91 chassis with a "Chassis Type 19" label.
A Philco 89 chassis with a "Chassis Type 71" label.
A Philco 38-643B with the 1937 type 37-643B cabinet.
Two Philco 52 grandfather clocks - I own one, the other was in someone else's collection.
A Philco 470/490 console - only it has a Model 51 upper chassis instead of a 70 or 90.
Several early Philco 50 cathedrals in Model 70 cathedral cabinets - at first I thought something was fishy, but enough of these have turned up to establish their authenticity.
And Gary's 37-610T with a 38-610 label inside.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Phranken-Philco's 8)