Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Brunswick Console

I'm posting a couple pictures of a Brunswick console a friend found in an 'antique' shop. He saved it from the fate of being gutted and turned into a decorative cabinet as I guess this shop specializes in that type of thing. This radio hadn't sold and was actually sitting in the work area awaiting its fate when he found it. This uses a Radiola 60 chassis inside with a heavy looking speaker that is powered by it's own separate power chassis. Not sure if that amplifies things more or just powers the speaker. Looks like it should boost something. I wasn't able to pull it away from the wall enough to get a look at the tag, but I noticed this unit has no phonograph, nor does it look like it ever had one. No room that I can see. I never have seen an early Brunswick console without the Panatrope in it somewhere. Did they actually build some without this? This is the radio I might get in the possible trade for the Stromberg-Carlson.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce,
Looks like it might be a 5NC8:
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/images...hisler.jpg

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

I would keep the Stromberg and try getting it to play better, it's a far better radio then a Radiola 60 Brunswick clone would be, if only for the few years extra technological refinement. In answer to your question yes Brunswick made lots of sets without a phonograph, they made table model versions as well with a seperate speaker. RCA did not make these sets, Brunswick made these under license, RCA didn't make anything until they took over Victor. The power supply chassis does just that I believe, in my Westinghouse 89, which is similar to a Radiola 63, the only tube in that chassis is the type 80, the power output amp is on one end of the tuner chassis.
Regards
Arran

There is nothing cloned about the radio chassis. It's purely and simply an RCA Radiola 62, as supplied to Brunswick. They used the big RCA dynamic speaker, derived from the RCA Loudspeaker 104. These sets have good sound when you have them working properly.

There was a Brunswick Panatrope that was used with this radio. I don't have the model number, but when it's up and going, it's an excellent phono combination.

I guess that the ultimate Brunswick combo was the 3NW8. I have one. It used an RCA Radiola 64 with a manual motor board. Performance and audio are phenomenal.

Both my friend and I are hoping this radio performs well. I was baffled by the lack of a Panatrope, thinking it got removed. But, the top doesn't open and show no signs of ever having the Panatrope there. I was just checking before I made any decisions. I have seen the version of this radio with the Panatrope pictured online and I think cabinet was just a hair taller than this one to fit the phonograph in.
I used to have a Radiola 60 and have a Radiola 66. I've had very good luck with the Superherterodyne era of Radiolas. Always good performers that suck in stations better than some later radios in my opinion.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Quote:There is nothing cloned about the radio chassis. It's purely and simply an RCA Radiola 62, as supplied to Brunswick. They used the big RCA dynamic speaker, derived from the RCA Loudspeaker 104. These sets have good sound when you have them working properly.

But who built them, was RCA building their own sets by then? Normally it was either G.E or Westinghouse that built everything for RCA prior to 1929 so I thought maybe Brunswick and American Bosch may have been building them under license. If it's a Radiola 62 then it's basically the same set as my Canadian Westinghouse model 89, with the exception of the added tone control switch and a few extra bits.
Regards
Arran

You're right, Arran.....to a point. Indeed, RCA never manufactured anything prior to its acquisition of Victor Talking Machine Company (VTMCo). RCA was owned roughly 60% by GE, and 40% Westinghouse. Apparatus was supplied as RCA branded in roughly the same proportions as Westinghouse and GE ownership. I understand that there was a couple of shares by Western Electric in the mix.

The GE and Westinghouse, as well as Graybar branded sets had RCA chassis in them. There were several furniture suppliers to RCA, as again, RCA made nothing. But, since Brunswick was a furniture house, they bought chassis from RCA, and installed them in their cabinets.

Then, in 1929, Brunswick had to find a new radio chassis supplier, so they went to Bremer-Tully, who manufactured no superhets. Aided with the oncoming depression, Brunswick panatropes faded from the scene.