Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Instant gratification

Love those good old AA5s. I just finished a Philco Model B569. The plainest of the plain, bottom of the line in 1954. Took a whole hour. 6 new caps, a good scrub of the cabinet and the knobs and she looks and plays like new. On to the next one ......

Keep one hand in your pocket

Congratulations! Icon_thumbup

You are very lucky that the IF transformers are not suffering from silver mica disease; these sets can have the affliction since they use the 3/4" IF transformers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
What happens to those "unlucky" transformers, in case I run into the disease in future. I really like the table tops from the 50's for their imaginative cabinet shapes. I have limited space so I've reached my console limit and these are fun for me to work on.

And have you noticed that even with a cheapie, basic AM tube set it sounds better on a station with a good signal better than a Walmart, maybe a Coby, special?
I have.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul P,
Yes it does. I thought maybe I was listening with nostalgic ears, but It does sound fuller than I expected.

They can be fixed, Philament. There are procedures on how to do this in various places around the Net. The biggest concern is finding the proper values of mica capacitors to use as replacements for the old, bad mica wafers inside the IF cans. Usually involves measuring the wafers with a capacitance meter if the capacity isn't marked on the schematic (and it usually isn't in the case of Philcos).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN