Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I've done it again, #2 & 3

In my travels to North Carolina recently - yes, I actually ventured out onto the highways on a holiday weekend, something I usually do not do - I picked up another E.H. Scott receiver.

This time, it's a World War II morale radio, a Scott SLRM.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum..._00003.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That was Scott #2, now here's #3.

A good friend in North Carolina sent me home with yet another Scott - an RBO communications receiver from WWII.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum..._00001.jpg]

(And I sincerely appreciate this and the Philco 35!)

So now I have two Scott military radios and an empty Allwave 23 Tasman cabinet, a Philharmonic speaker, and a McMurdo Silver Masterpiece VI to go along with a 1924 Super-Zenith VIII and the Philcos. I guess you could say I'm diversifying a bit. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron-At this rate your home will be looking like mine.

I have a Scott speaker for one of these boat-anchors. PM me.
They look like a guitar amp.

Bruce - Email sent.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow, two of the morale radios on my bucket list! Icon_e_surprised

Larry

Wow, very nice score Ron! I remember Jim Clark (Michigan club) winning a Scott receiver at an auction in Georgia back in the late 80's and he was literally in tears (of joy).

Pretty soon you'll have to start a Classic Radio website Icon_wink

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Here is a Scott Boatanchor speaker I bought a few years ago on ebay.
I have NEVER seen another one of these before or since offered for sale.

It is in an ebony painted wood box with a 12" speaker and a headphone jack.

The metal tag is on the top and not visible in my back photos.
A very large voice coil too. Ignore that garage storage debris.

John - Whatever happened to Jim Clark? I never hear of him anymore.

I can sort of relate to that experience when I won the auction for my McMurdo Silver MP VI. Part of me wanted to jump up, pump my fist in the air and say "YESSSSSS!!!" But the other part of me was thinking, I just paid how much for a radio???

Bruce - Very interesting! I did not know there was an extension speaker for the SLRM. It makes sense, though...from what I have read, speakers like that would have been installed in different parts of a ship for the entertainment of the sailors.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Take a look at a close-up of the tag to the left of the RBO's dial...

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum..._00004.jpg]

Yes, you read that right...103 pounds! Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oy, I thought my Navy receiver was heavy.

Mike

Quote:John - Whatever happened to Jim Clark? I never hear of him anymore.
For those who don't know Jim he was a well known radio/TV collector, author of an E.H. Scott book that shows all chassis and cabinets offered, founder of MARC (Michigan Antique Radio Club) and the concept of their huge Extravaganza Radio Swap Meet. I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out, but Jim was a well known collector back in the day when Ron and I were stalking Radiofest when it was still in Elgin.

According to Mark Oppat Jim is no longer active, retired as president of MARC about 10 years ago, but still comes to Lansing (Extravaganza) with his wife Brenda.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I recently saw Jim Clark at the hotel, at the MARC "extravaganza" meet. He'd been through stock car racing, and was in a crackup, and has been into some other endeavor.

He had wanted the vintage radio game to pay off big, and it never did. He's totally out of the radio game, so I understand.

I remember reading in the AWA Old Timer's Bulletin that many of the Scott SLRMs were used on merchant ships. They were used by the U.S Navy as well but ended up being used as entertainment radios, even though that wasn't the intent of the manufacturer, apparently they just couldn't cut it. If you watch the movie, "The Caine Mutiny" they have a Scott SLRM sitting in the background in their ward room. The Scott RBO was definitely a moral radio, a marine radio would have at least had a longwave band. The same was true of many Howard communications sets built during the war.
Regards
Arran

Yes, the RBO was mounted in the ship's "radio shack" and was used to pipe radio programs over the ship's 1MC speaker system.

The reason the RBO is 103LBS is the extensive shielding built in and around the set. Enemy subs could detect a superhet's oscillator and use it to DF and find the ship the radio was on.

...Lost my train of thought. Gad, I've been wandering lately like I have Alzheimer's.

Mike