Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trim on 42-124

Does anybody know if that was painted veneer or bakelite? I have one that is missing all of the trim on the bottom of the the radio. On that note also does anybody reproduce the bakelite estcheons around the dial scale. I have a couple of radios that need replacement.
thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
You might check out Larry's site:
http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/partlistings.html

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

The dial bezel is a plastic called Tennite. It is an early plastic that warps over time. Try Larry.

Thanks guys I e-mailed him. Hopefully he can help. I also need the covering around the dial scale on a couple of sets.
thanks
Chris

Chris - is that the set you bought or traded from me some time back? That bottom trim is wood. Very thin, but thicker than veneer. Had I kept the set, I was going to go to Lowe's and find the thinnest Weyerhauser (sp?) Choicewood I could find, cut to size, apply and heavily tone it extra dark walnut or Van Dyke brown, which would have replicated the original trim quite well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sorry Chris - thought you meant the dial surround, not the bottom of the cabinet trim. Icon_confused

Ron,
Yes that is the set. I have recapped it and am ready to try it. I thought that it was tennite and am glad it is wood. Will have to check out lowes for the wood.

Chuck,
No problem I also need the tennite dial surround. I have two sets that have badly damaged ones. I e-mailed larry but no response yet Icon_cry

thanks guys,
Chris