Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model Mystery

Good evening

I am including a pic of my radio I recently picked up at an estate sale. The radio states Model 71 but looking at the front - it look like several Highboy/Lowboy models in the 1932-1933 range. Is there any other way of truly nailing down the model number of this.

BTW - I replaced the caps on this - all including the filter cap assembly - took a little bit of tracing on the schematic - and when all was done went from total hum, to hum with stations, and after the electrolytics arrived and replaced - rock solid performance! I was initially thinking of selling this but now I am thinking of adding this to my personal collection. Listened to the Yankee game and currently talk radio - what a refreshing change from the daily "looped" garbage offered on FM.

Any assistance on identifying this radio would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like a model 71 to me. It should have seven tubes.

Do you know what is supposed to be the difference between hi and low boy options??

Well, yes, they came in different cabinets. Look on the home page for the section on the different models. OR if you have Ron's book they are on page 37.

Generally speaking, a "high-boy" has the cabinet up on long legs, whereas a "low-boy" has a long-waited cabinet on short legs.

Chuck