Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Flea Market found and Philcos!

This was a major shot in the arm after a crappy week off and having insomnia last night. Was doing a little traveling about and stumbled on a new flea market that had just opened a couple months back. I went in and to my surprise I found a Philco 18 console and a Philco TV console. Since I was interested in both, the guy bundled them together and I got a good bit knocked off the total price. I have been wanting a round CRT Philco set, so I was going to get that, but the 18 seemed interesting too. What I wonder is if Philco used the cabinet for another radio as well? I noticed my 18 cabinet is drilled to fit two different chassis, one a bit deeper than the other.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce

Great finds, congrats! Icon_thumbup

The cabinet design of your 18 (official model: 18LS) was also used to house models 14, 16, 17, and even the 19 at one point.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933c.htm#j

I could use a good, large photo of your 18LS in place of the poor illustration in the Gallery link above (hint, hint). Icon_wink

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Uncommon set!!! Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Wow! I actually got a rare Philco for $50! Not bad! Ron, I will try and get a good quality photo for you soon. With dial-up I have to keep the size and megapixels down.

Good for you.

Great Finds Icon_thumbup

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Excellent!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Nice finds Icon_thumbup I don't think I've ever seen that TV model before.

The TV claims to be a model 50-T1430 on the back tag and the tube layout tag inside the cabinet. I'll be asking questions soon on the TV portion of the phorum. Icon_smile

I will try and get a good quality photo for you soon.

Smile PleazZZZzzzZZZzzzz

NICE!! A find like that in western Canada would be unheard of. The radio population here is low.
Maybe thats a good thing.

Gregb

Sadly, that flea market folded and closed the middle of last year. Mostly because of a state bridge project that dragged on for nearly a year. The detours took possible customers completely around where the flea market was at and business dropped completely, killing it. Icon_sad

Jayce,
Isn't THAT just nice? Here in Tucson they have been 'renovating' the Downtown area for about 10 years. Lots of lost busineses. On the North side they widened a road for so long, and tied up an intersection for so long that about 7 businesses went out in one center alone. You could not get in. And they didn't care!

Seem to be par for the course when they decide to redo roads and such. I can't say much else without straying into political territory! Icon_lol

They did something similar to that in the Vancouver area with a light rail expansion project, the business owners sued for, and won, compensation. In that case it wasn't so much that patrons could not get to the businesses so much as it disrupted the parking and created a lot of noise. The light rail system there has been a fiasco since they started it, it never has made money, except on a few routes, lacks ridership, yet they keep going into debt to expand it.
As for a flea market the smart thing to have done was to re-locate it, unlike a normal sort of business it's relatively mobile.
Regards
Arran