Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1263 fibreboard backing

Where can I find reproduction backing for my Philco console? Can I find it custom size or will it be cut to fit? It seems like it would be a tough thing to ship.

I've seen where it would cover the phono/speaker area and have a ribbed area that tucks in at the top. The radio is left exposed, I assume to ventilate the heat generated.

Thanks,
Alan

Look for screw holes if you don't have an actual shot of a stock set. A lot of sets did not have any back covers in that era, although I am willing to be stood corected by the experts.

In any case you can certainly get a sheet of masonite and roll you own. All it would take is measuring an cutting carefully with a saw, and large vents for the tubes. If there was not originally a back, best leave alone. If situated a couple of inches away from a wall there is little potential for hazards. And whatever I wouldn't want to be any closer than that.

Thanks for the advice. My main concern was to help keep dust from accumulating on the record player. I guess I'll keep it uncovered on the back. I could drape a hand towel over the record player to keep it clean.

Alan

If it is anything like the 47-1230, it looks like thick black cardboard. Screwed to the sides and tucked under the chassis. Maybe you could just get cardboard for a replacement?

-Mars

I believe, based on the insulation on the backside of the cardboard used on my (and Mars') 47-1230 sets, that the purpose of the cardboard was not so much for keeping the dust off of the phonograph, but to help direct the sound out the front of the set rather than having it escape from the back. It does give seem to give it a nice deep, rich sound!

Great observation. Acoustic feedback can indeed limit things in close quarters even with old time lathe record players. Even 6 inches of foam above my Altecs will foil me if I put the turntable on top and attempt to loosen my ear wax. So long as it's not the hot tube environment you are blocking out, a piece of masonite, perhaps lined with some foam, aka new air conditioner filter or something like with it would be most proper. Don't know how they handled this in Jukeboxes, but someone must know.

Cheap particle board furniture, such as a bookcase would have a fiberboard back that would work. You might even get lucky and find one that someone has set out in the trash.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes