Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Turntable reflocking

The phonograph on my 47-1230 was in bad shape. At least on top. The base was rusted and half of the flocking was missing from the turntable. So, I took it upon myself to become a "flocker" :-) I found the attached bottle of brown flocking online (eBay), but I suspect any craft store should be able to get it (like Hobby Lobby). The jar is very small, about the size of a prescription bottle, but it should be just enough for the small turntables used on the 1946-48 automatic record changers. For a larger turntable, I would recommed getting 2 bottles. Any spray adhesive will work for the flocking. I used 3M Super 77 (as we use this where I work so I "borrowed" a can :-) )    

Here's how the finished phonograph looks after repainting and reflocking:    

Very nice. I just flocked the platter on a 1942 Philco over the weekend. I bought some Donjer flocking fibers, adhesive paint, and applicator from my local Woodcraft. I think it turned out pretty well but I ended up getting finger impressions in the flock when I turned the platter over to remove some masking tape I had applied (I let the paint dry for more than the recommended 15 hours before doing this). I don't know if I'll be able to raise the fibers to get rid of the impressions or not.

How did you apply this flocking material? Did you just sprinkle it on?

Sean
WØKPX

Yes I sprayed the adhesive glue onto the bare platter, let it set for a minute or two, and held the turntable over a cardboard box and sprinkled the flocking on, starting with the sides and then finishing with the top, shaking off the excess and sprinkling a bit more over the bare areas. I was pleased at how it turned out for my first attempt! I'm also glad it was a small diameter turntable :-)

It looks brand new!

-Mars

Thanks, Mars! If I can "flock", anyone can! :-)

This is something that I will need to give a go at sometime. Not only do I have a few naked but formally flocked phonograph platters I also have a few steel backing plates for dials that could use redoing, ones that are either loosing flock, have rust spots, or are faded. I've been meaning to see if the Micheal's stores sell flocking supplies, other then that fleabay is always an option. They used to sell applicators with the flocking kits as well, sort of a cardboard version of a bicycle pump that you would load the flocking into and shoot onto the object you were working on.
Regards
Arran

At work I sometimes have to repair a small burn in a volure car seat. For that we have many different colored fibers to match original,use a little spray glue and a small Van De Graff generator to make the fiber stand up on end.
Terry

Now Terry, that is high tech and creative. We need a video of that!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.