Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rock the gang....

Thid means...what?
Does it mean simply slightly rotating the tuning knob left and right, looking for the maximum signal?
Then what's the point if I just tuned trimmers to have the peak at the generator's frequency?

Morzh, I am awaiting an answer as well, never did understand the purpose of "rocking the gang".
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Yes, you are adjusting the trimmer AND rocking the tuning cap for max gain. I have never found "rocking the gang" to be of much value.

I'll try to explain it. The procedure is for radios that have a padder adjustment for the low end of a band. For the standard broadcast band, typically a 600 KHz signal is coupled to the antenna and the dial pointer on 600. Then you adjust the padder so the signal is comes in at 600 on the dial.

In most instances this is plenty good enough. Next you can use the "rock the gang" procedure to squeeze out a little more sensitivity at the low end of the band.

Adjust the padder while moving the gang capacitor slightly in one direction to see if the sensitivity can be improved. If no better try adjusting the padder and gang capacitor in the other direction for any increase in sensitivity. Helps to monitor the AVC voltage than by ear.

What this is doing is searching where the gang capacitor's antenna section and antenna coil resonate at maximum. Dial pointer accuracy is somewhat sacrificed for sensitivity.

After a while it starts to make sense.

Oh, it always made sense, it just never made much difference.