Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118B veneer type

Does anyone know what wood species the 118B used? I am trying to restore a bad cabinet and have to replace the veneer in the center of the radio.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1935a.htm#e

Thanks,
Steve

I think it's stump or crotch walnut, if you mean the portion where the dial escutcheon is. The pieces on either side of that center portion is maple or beech veneer with a dark lacquer over it.
Regards
Arran

Hi Aaran,

It is the center piece where the esscutcheon is that I am referring to. It was patched over so many times I decided to replace it as it was in a lot of pieces. I am not sure where to get that veneer type.

Ill see if I can find a supplier.

Thanks,
Steve

Stump walnut is somewhat hard to find these days but it is out there, Bob Andersen found a supplier of stump for his Philco 115DX's cabinet, not large pieces mind you. Perhaps you should contact him and ask where he got it from? If that fails sometimes you can find sections of burl walnut that look close enough to work.
Regards
Arran

I had someone at a local Woodcraft store help me with identifying it. They had curly walnut that looked a good match. I am going to try that and if it doesn't look right I can always try again.

Thanks for your advice.

I've heard of woodcraft stores, they seem to be sponsors of a few how to shows on PBS, they sound like a useful outfit. In any event curly grain is what you need regardless of what part of the walnut tree it came from, it may have been a stump or crotch cut of French walnut originally but as long as the colour and grain of the replacement veneer is close it will work.
Regards
arran