Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 97B Tombstone

Gene

Great score! Icon_thumbup

I think I have an extra dial I made when I built my reproduction 97 - it's a heavily modified 118 chassis with a 620 front end, so mine has 8 tubes instead of 7. Anyway, you're welcome to the scale if I can find it, but bear in mind I did not have an original to go by so it will not look original. It looks like a 620/630 scale but it will fit perfectly. The 97 has the same frequency coverage as the 620/630. Send me a PM if interested.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for all the great replies!! I found the other bracket that mounts on the rear of the case for the right hand side inside the cabinet.
And I figured out the hole on the right rear is where two electrolytic caps originally went

Overall the cabinet is in pretty good shape. There is a small sliver of veneer gone on the rear of one side and a couple of scratches on the top.
Grille cloth is worn and has a hole, but until I find something that would look suitable I will leave it as is.

Question on the shadow meter.........can the front of that be cleaned without hurting anything?

Gene

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a model 97, it seems sort of an odd tube count, usually they went from 4, to 5, to 6, and then to 8 tubes, and then just changed the frequency coverage and the power output stages. This chassis really looks like a 118 with a tube missing, the 118 has an extra driver tube for the audio but only two bands and an inter stage transformer on top of the chassis.
Regards
Arran

Yes, but the 118 has a 260 kc IF - the 97 has a 460 kc IF, I think.

I feel that the 97 was a sort of "prototype" with low production numbers, to demonstrate what the 1936 "600 series" of sets would be like. Notice the 97 is the only 1935 Philco model with the square RF shields and adjustments on top of these cans, like many 1936 Philco models.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

TA Forbes,
The dial is dark brown. There is a hint of red in it, but I don't know what color it originally was due to the age.

Gene

I am trying to determine if the knobs were all the same size or one was a larger size. I am missing one.....is it the small one or a large one. I have seen two different configurations on this case so am wondering if anyone knows??
Thanks,

Gene