Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 15X Back panel and labels?

1) Does anyone have a source method to reproduce the label set for this model? I tried a source on eBay but he does not cover this model?

2) Back cover board: Does anyone know of a fiberboard material similar to the original black material used for the back panel cover. It was covered in black felt and perforated with multiple 1-2 inch baffle holes?

Wow, that's a new one for me, but would NOT be suprised if someone made one!

The material is much like the "matting" used by custom framers, and you can buy it by the sheet at Michaels craft store (or, at least, they used to sell it).

I bought a large sheet of the stuff some years ago to make backing boards for grille cloth in cathedral and tombstone radios, and still have about half of the sheet left.

Of course, then you would have to deal with making the round holes for the authentic look.

As for the label, I might be able to come up with a scan, but I cannot do so right away - it will take some time as I'm frankly quite busy at present.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The closest thing I have seen to the cardboard used in radio backs was the thick cardboard they use to make car door panels with, which you can still buy from an upholstery supply, someone told me it was called "Waterboard" but they may or may not use that term.
Regards
Arran

Untill I found this post while searching I did not know the 15X even had a back. I would like to try recreating the back for my 15x. Can anyone give me an idea of total numbers of holes, or a better picture? A scan or a high resolution scan of the back label would be helpful to.

Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skip

[attachment=1347][attachment=1345][attachment=1346]Skip: I reproduced mine with double poster board from Michaels Hobby Shop, and covered with black felt per the original. Used as hole saw to punch the board. Also "fake" reproduced the back label. I posted the jpg on the downloadable files for a converted 111 label to a 15 model. Its not = to the original verbatim, but it has very similar look. Color printed on a single label sheet 4x. Ill try to attach photos of final back look.

Radioguy52

Did you make the tube shield or is that original. Mine is missing and I was planning on using individual tube shields I have laying around untill I either found one or made one.

Thanks for the pictures and idea. I was thinking along the same lines as what you did. Your 15X looks very nice.

I noticed on your radio you have decals for each knob, I have not seen a 15X with any other decals then the Philco, are those correct? If so did you get them from Radiodaze?

Thanks

skip. I was lucky and the tube shield came original. decals.. You are correct original did not have the volume tone on off But I was restoring for someone that I thought would find it useful to know which knobs do what since tone and volume look same..So I took a little librerty from original. decals came from Radiodaze.. The jpg is loaded in the phorum archives... This was a fun project...

I used a pressed fiber board from home depot,forgot the name of the stuff,the thickness was just right,very durable,used a holesaw for all the holes,sanded smooth all edges. use your old cover for templet ,your lucky. i had to do mine from a picture ,took a while to get holes in the right place. then i spray painted it to match factory color from picture i used. then i used a black or brown if you like, window screen attached to inside of of your board , this worked very well ,looked factory this was done for my philco 23x that i restored over the summer and won first place,peoples choice award, and best of show, How about that. i sure did that old 23x proud as Tom Forbes had said. Merry Christmas to all from Fred and BIG Henry from DALLAS tx

Hi this is FRED again i will post pictures of 23x and the back cover as soon as i can figure out how to do so.