Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-675X De Luxe

There is one here in town, but the guy wants way to much I think. But it is a 12 tube set and very low production, so I'm thinking it might be worth paying to much for? Cabinet is in good shape but the grill cloth has a big tear ;(

Any ideas on what would be reasonable?

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

I guess it would depend on how high the price is. Check the hole in the grill cloth to make sure there isn't a matching hole in the speaker like I usually run into. I have one of these consoles myself and I think I paid roughly $150 just to get it without knowing what I had until I got it home. The off-on/tone control on mine is really messed up, but when it is behaving this radio will bury a 12 tube Zenith from the same era.

No matter where you go, there you are.

John, the 37-675X is a pretty good set in a unique cabinet.

Make sure the speaker is not damaged. If yes, worth less. Also chassis for condition, etc.. Are all 12 tubes there? Also are all the tube shields present? Has a previous owner gerred the tube shield bases to install metal or GT tubes?

The repop vee-chevron grillecloth is nearly impossible to get now.

If you're lucky enough to get the set, and the grille cloth damage is such that the opening in it can be closed, remove the cloth from the speaker board, lay it out on a bed of smooth cloth, like cotton, face down.

Then, carefully, bring the edges of the tear together, as well matched as possible.

Then, have some iron-on patch strips eady, and a flat iron heated to temperature. Iron on the repair tape, over the joined tear. It will be hard to see if it's done carefully.

if you do this, your wife will not have an excuse to pitch the original cloth, and replace it with some of that vomit-inspiring, splotchy flower cloth, that we see so much of.

The grille cloth hole alone is enough of a reason not to pay top dollar if you can avoid it, a hole in the speaker cone is relatively easy to fix. Just keep in mind that the average member of the public doesn't know the difference between a 12 tube radio and a 5 tube radio when they have one in their possession; in fact some don't even know what tubes are let alone that having more of them in a radio usually means it's higher end. In my thinking if it is complete with all knobs, tube shields, hardware, speaker, no obviously signs of butchery like a crudely installed phono jack and bat switches, no rust, cabinet solid with a decent original finish, then I would say $150 or less given the hole in the cloth. Without good pictures it's hard to know for sure, and I don't mean the crappy ones usually posted on craigslist or kijiji that only show you the flattering side. Consoles are a liability to most people, they are hogs for floor space, especially when they don't play, and they are usually trying to get rid of them.
Regards
Arran