Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnavox AW 100

I have seen this radio sitting high up on a shelf at my friend's place for ages and thought it to be a tube portable. Well, he was doing some cleaning and gave the radio to me to get it out of the way and I was surprised to find out that this is an eight transistor set! Like my friend, I'm not normally into transistor radios unless they are different and this one looks like it was built to last. A big chassis with socketed transistors and hand wired to boot, along with parts so big and robust that all that is missing are the tubes! Icon_biggrin I did a little research and supposedly this is the first all wave radio built to use transistors and I doubt it was cheap at the time it was made. It originally used a BIG nine volt battery, so I tried a regular nine volt to see if there was any life. I got audio sounds when I flip the band switch and lose contact with the battery, but nothing else. So, this will go on the shelf until I find someone to work on it or figure it out.
P.S. I would have pictures, but my camera is being a pain. They will come soon.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'd help but you are probably far away. Try it...transistors are easier to work with...safer too. You got nothing lose.
I would start with pulling transistors to see if there is oxidation. Also if the band switch is a drum type the connecting wipers oxidize as heck.

As always scoping is helpful.

Well, once I get over the teeth problems, I'll give it a go. Hard to do anything with a throbbing toothache.

No matter where you go, there you are.

H**l, yeah....no teeth, no problem. Icon_smile

Recently got a Magnavox Prelude, FM048 I think, thought it may have a mid range and a tweeter, but alas only a midrange. A little leary as it uses a ratio detector. Anyway kind of cool looking, very sixties.

We will see how it turns out, love a FM classsic, increases the available listening experience. Not many Ft. Wayne Magna's after these.

Good luck with yours.Icon_biggrin

Paul

Tubetalk1