Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gearing up to work on a 16b

I am planning on getting to work on the chassis of my 16b cathedral later this month. I hope to work on the cabinet too, including replacing the woefully incorrect grille cloth. What did the original look like? Anyone have a picture? Is there a good repro available? What are the other options?

I believe the name of the correct grill cloth is wiskey. look in the photo gallery on philcoradio.com under june 1933. you might find some on ebay or post a wanted adon the phorum.

-Keith

Below is a model 19 with the correct pattern grillecloth.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/images...)_Dean.jpg

"Whiskey" is the color of what is commonly referred to as the 70/90 pattern, since it is the same cloth used in Model 70 and 90 cathedral sets.

There was also a copper variation of the same pattern, used in models 19, 89, and a few other 1933 Philco cathedrals although I think the 16B used the whiskey color cloth.

Good luck finding any. I think there was a vendor selling some leftover cloth at Kutztown, but it's all going to become impossible to find sooner rather than later.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the speedy responses everyone. It sounds like I'm going to just find something kinda close that I like. Other than the European fellow's website and EvilPay are there any other known suppliers? I found one guy on the Alternative Radio Forum that had some cloth for sale, but it just isn't right.