Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

And, finally...a Scott Philharmonic!

Hi Ron
That is a great looking Scott. The One I had looked like yours except it had 2a3 tubes in the output. It also had two tweeters. It really had good clear sound and lots of it. Glad you got it. Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

With most of the radios that I have owned I don't think I have run across one with mouse chewed wires, though I did see a Philco 70/71 chairside where a mouse had made a nest under the chassis, they did chew the insulation but most of it was packed with paper and other fluff. Most of the time they seemed to have gone for the speaker cones or grill cloth first, maybe they didn't like the flavor of the rubber and varnish used on the wires in these cases?
Getting back to the chrome plating I'm sure that the mouse urine did contribute to the heavier rust, but even so it's very seldom that you see a Scott without at least some spots in the chrome. I knew a fellow that had a few Scott Philharmonics, the later versions had an FM band on them. I can't recall whether they had tweeters or no, but I'm pretty sure that they chrome plated the speaker frames on at least one of them rather then using the silver wrinkle paint. They are very impressive looking beasts, which was part of the salesmanship of course, the chassis were made to show off just sitting on a table. In terms of performance I don't know if the front ends are really any better then any other high end set, I think the main selling point was the power output stages.
Regards
Arran

Nice job on cleaning up that power amp Ron. It really came out looking good. Better than I thought it would by far. As far as chrome goes, I have only worked on 4 Scotts, 3 800Bs and 1 Metro. On all, the chassis were in pretty good shape. The biggest problem on the chrome was on the IF cans. Hard to find any of those without some pealing of the chrome.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

There were two versions of the Philharmonic. I had one of the first ones that came from New Orleans, and had horrible chromium plaating. While the set worked like ma demon, the plating was so bad, that it became one that I disposed of when I thinned down my Scott sets. I had around 19 of them, and knew that I'd never get to them, nor get any of them done.

The second version is this one that Ron has. There had been a volume expander in it, that used the second tuning eye as a sort of indicator, as I understand. The expander was replaced with the FM channel o the one hat Ron has. Either one is a holy grail, however.Note the additional hole in the speaker board They aren't covered off, so this set could have had the optional tweeters. They go, typically, for around 1000 bucks a set. I kept an Imperial Allwave, and I have the tweets for it.

One funny little anecdote here. One of the Scotts I had used a Wellington cabinet for an Imperial Allwave set. There was a guy in the area who had a Philco 37-690 that he would let go in trade for a Scott Imperial Allwave in a Wellington cabinet.

You'll never guess how I got my 37-690!

Ron,

I don't know a lot about Scott radios, except that they're really high end radios. I'd really like to hear about a comparison between your high end Philcos and this Scott when you get it working properly. It would be nice to hear how Philco's best stacks up to a Scott.

Tom