Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mohawk finishing products for Philco 47-1230

"Lacquers go on best when the temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees F. It can be used in temperatures as low as 60 degrees F, but warmer is better...to a point. If the temperature is 90 or higher, the product starts drying before it all hits the object being sprayed."

If the temperature is on the warm side, don't spray lacquer in direct sunlight. It will cause bubbles from outgassing and it's a job to sand out. Been there done that.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Is there any other way to get rid of "blush"?
like wash it out? Would an extra layer of toner work or we absolutely need "no blush plus"?
I will not wait for another philco product before the winter, but there's blush on the radio. What if I lacquer over it?

-Mars

Let's give your questions numbers; my answers will follow.
Marsupial Wrote:1. Is there any other way to get rid of "blush"? like wash it out?
2. Would an extra layer of toner work or we absolutely need "no blush plus"?
3. I will not wait for another philco product before the winter, but there's blush on the radio. What if I lacquer over it?

1. Not that I am aware of. Steve?
2. No, an extra layer of toner will only exacerbate the condition...in my experience. No Blush Plus will make the blush disappear immediately, like magic...assuming good weather conditions, of course.
3. See 2.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

In the past, when I didn't know there was a product such as No Blush Plus available, I would sand the blush away. The problem here is this is a toned coat, so the entire coat would have to be sanded off because, it is nearly impossible to spot toner.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I agree it is nearly impossible to spot toner. That's what caused the main issue. I was having mild smudges on the surface, which I figured I could smooth out and re-tone, until it became more and more visible.

I ended up sanding most of the surface down, but having lost most of my toner in trying to fix up, I had to use the contrasting color to finish the job. It looks somewhat OK and will do for now, but as stated earlier it is scheduled for a redux as soon as can be.

This is what I had at first:

See the blotches? What was the cause of that? It was appearing only on a select area of the front of the radio. Did I mis prepare the surface?
Once I sanded down and retoned, I started to have visible contrast at the edges, and the toner leaked a lot more, like it wouldn't stay on some of the sanded areas. Not very good.

this is what I ended up doing

not too bad in the circumstances. As I said, it'll do for now.

-Mars

No Blush is Great stuff!!!!
It's like magic. Have used it in the Mohawk class and on stuff I've done later. Would definitely recommend getting a can or two. It can really help with removing the milky haze from too much humidity.
Terry