Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Know model number now another question

Well, after finishing my Philco 111, the lady that sold it to me had sellers remorse as it meant a lot to her for the time she had it. I should have never sent her pictures after the restoration, she would like to buy it back. Problem, I love it and have space for it so to get rid of it, I need another nice Philco.
Can someone give me the model number of the Philco I found on C/L? I like the style, not near as well as the 111, but I feel bad about her wishing she wouldn't have sold it. I love it but she has memories of it. What's a guy to do?
Here is link to the possible replacement for me to buy. Almost as good looking as the 111.
Help me get a model number please and any other information to offer.
Thanks Jerry

http://tucson.craigslist.org/atq/3305836165.html

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Model 90 lowboy?

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1931b.htm

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Correct.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1931b.htm#i

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It's a handsome cabinet, so is the highboy, but I like the model 112 cabinet even more.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Aaron, I have a 112 already. Thinking about replacing the 111 which I just finished and sent a picture to the nice old lady I bought it from. She replied almost in tears that she had so much memory of that radio over many years she would like to buy it back. I don't have the memories she has but really like the radio. I was thinking of buying this one and returning the 111 for the money I have put it to it. No labor, just the parts. I'm a sensitive guy! The radio I'm looking at looks pretty good on the cabinet, I don't know the serial number. Apparently they changed after some time to replace the PP 45s to a single ended output.
Need to get in touch with the seller, tried, no one at home. Only a 400 mile round trip to pick it up. Well, everything around where I live is a long trip.
Jerry

My next question, there appears to be two versions of this radio depending on S/N and the owner can't find a serial number. The earlier used PP 45s in the output. The later used a single ended 47. Tube count and chassis layout appear to me to be the same. Anyone catch and subtle difference they can discern from the picture? I also have not figured out how they kept the tube count the same. I will need to print out both schematics and view side by side. I'm hoping the later, no expensive 45s and interstage transformer to worry about.
Thanks Jerry

A much longer round trip! Overnight stay. What the hay. It's only money. Charging up the GPS and let the fun begin.

There were three versions of the Philco 90 chassis, Jerry.

1st version - two 45 output tubes, 175 kc IF
2nd version - one 47 output tube, 175 kc IF
3rd version - two 47 output tubes, a three gang tuning condenser instead of a four gang as used in the earlier models, 260 kc IF

The photos in the craigslist ad are small, but that does look like a single 47 version.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Agree, looks like a single 47 model. The PP45 models have a local/distance toggle switch mounted on the back of the chassis.

Also, the 47 tube is larger than the 45, it looks like there is a 47 in the pics.

Thanks Ron, I will report back and a few days to let you know what I got.
Jerry

TA, thanks for your observation about the L/D switch. I would be very pleased if was a single ended 47. More pleased if was a PP 47. Happy for the single ended. Them 45s are really expensive and don't even think about buying any good ones in globes!

Jerry

I prefer the sound quality of the 45 versus the 47. You can tell the difference if you compare the sound of my 112 with the PP 45s and the 112 PP47 chassis that is (for the time being) in my model 111.

When the 47 tube hit the scene in the early 1930s there were several articles written about the level of distortion produced by it.

I was just expressing my preference in cabinet styles between the 112 models and the 90 model consoles in reference to the order in which they were posted in the gallery. But between the 90, 111, and 112 sets I still like the 112 models though I wouldn't mind owning any of them to be honest.
Regards
Arran

Thanks guys, with my hearing problems I would probably not notice much difference. My 112 late model with the 47s sounds good to me. The 111 with 45s sounds nice as well. But my hearing sucks! Don't call me on a telephone, I hate it. As for cabinet design, my 112 lacks what I like in something let's say traditional. I like the turned legs. Matches our decor a little better. The 90 captures the look of the 111, other than shorter legs (OK) and lack of closing doors, which is also OK. Arran if you want a 112, let me know. I could always buy another 111 somewhere. Shipping would be a expensive.
Jerry

You know to be really fair you could give the set back to the little old lady under the condition that it be returned to you when she is no longer at home to enjoy it. It can be a codicil to her will and known to her family, and I can't think it would be overlooked. But beware that little old ladies can live and function a lot longer than old men.

Yes, they DO live longer.

Know why men die before their wives...???

They WANT to. heh heh heh........Icon_wink