Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

20-A baby grand

Hi All,
I am working on a condition report for a baby grad model 20-A. The grill cloth is torn in three places. Is there a method to repair this without purchasing a new grill cloth entirely?
This model looks to be in rough shape but the hope is to at least stabilize the cabinet to avoid further degradation. Any advice would be welcome.
This will be an on going project and there will probably be many more questions to come so thanks in advance.

Attached Files Image(s)

It is very tall. You are going to have to put it in a vise an squish it down.Icon_razz

It does not look to bad.

You could reassemble the cloth on some kind of a backer. I might even look good, but sound might have a hard time passing through it.

If they are tears, yes, it can be sewn shut and sealed with a drop of fabric glue on back.
Holes require some donor material maybe from edges or behind molding, but in that case color will be off. An extremely talented seamstress might be able to darn the holes like a sock with threads you harvest create with dyed thread to match what you have or can scrounge up. Not for these old eyes and hands any more, but I've seen it done to my utter amazement.

Your grillework has some issues, but with some careful work it can be rebuilt and look great!

Welcome to the Phourm!!!
Unfortunately you can't buy the original replacement cloth for your 20A. The overseas supplier has quit making it. It's a shame as many of us could use some. I've got several 20's that could use some.
It sounds like you are interested in working on the cabinet too. There are new replacement parts available. What you may want to do is snap a few more pictures and post them in the cabinet repair section of the Phourm. That will give us a good idea as to what you may need.
You didn't mention is the set working?? There are a number of good folks that can help you get the old gal going again if need be. Has it been serviced in the last few years??
GL
Terry

Try to save that original toned finish on the panel and arch. Too many restorers strip it and leave the curly maple too light, with no shading. That looks ridiculous.