Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tuning Static Philco 42-PT95

Hi,

I think I see the culprit - Hexane. I looked up the material safety datasheet on line. Main ingredient is Hexane (used in a lot of anti-ox cleaners) leaves behind an oily film to helps prevent future contact corrosion and oxidation. The "quick-dry" feature means that the volitiles evaporate and act as a vehicle to spread the anti-ox residuals.

This type of cleaner is also a BIG no-no for phenolic wafer switches and phenolic tube sockets, as it soaks in and is very difficult to remove. You may have some of this effect on the tuning gang phenolic stator brackets under the trimmers.

Chuck

That is what I plan to do, lots of pictures, lots of notes, lots of patients and (hopefully) a little bit of good luck.

It is sort of a trial by fire. I will be a better person [LOL] and a little more experienced when it is over, it's just the pain of working through your mistakes that I would rather skip over.....

We've all wished that, at one time or another.
Eventually a learning experience, but a real pita
when it's happening to you.

Been there. Icon_smile

Chuck[/align]

Deoxit 5.

I use DeOxIt also at work and use it with a swab or a fine tip drop applicator -NEVER spray. Same oily anti-ox residue. Ok for the contacts I have to clean/lube.

Chuck

I have found that the brake cleaner from NAPA is a great cleaner and does not leave any residue. Also cheap. No lubrication but great cleaning. Of course, I have been known to be wrong most of the time. Just what I use.
Jerry

PS: I agree with codefox that it is more accurate to take and count the turns precisely to tighten down the trimmers. Then remove or loosen up to spray or all the way out with the screw and carefully remove and clean the mica. I believe in the brake cleaner spray, leaves no residue.

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The best ever degreaser is any "flux remover" which is non-alcohol based. It cleans just about anything that is greasy or grimy. The best were those with CFCs but they are no longer manufactured...ozone depletion crap. But those in cansm, "flux off" and such are still very good.

Well boys and girls, I am crying "Uncle" on this one.... I have tried the Isopropyl Alchohol spray on both the gang and the mica. No difference. I still have stations at the wrong parts of the dial.

I am sending this away to hopefully have it re-aligned and/or cleaned / fixed (Radiotiques). I have had good luck with this vendor. My backup plan if I have screwed this up royally and it cannot be fixed, is to put the chassis of a 47-204 into the 42-PT95 as I believe they are basically the same.

Expensive lesson learned, but you can't recognize your successes until you have had some failures.....