Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482 Wood type?

I've started on a 48-482. It's not too bad but I'm going to strip and refinish it. My question is what type of wood is used? In other words, what shade of stain should I use?

Thanks,
Eric

I would go with a light or medium walnut on the main part of the box, the faceplate is darker on all mine

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

John,

Sounds great. I'm going to go with medium walnut. I got lucky with the faceplate. It cleaned up with some Goop hand cleaner. I even got new decals.

Thanks for the help,
Eric

Eric, how did you take the old decals off? Mine are intact but have become rather dark. I'm cleaning the faceplate (which is photofinish I believe) with GOJO and its coming clean but I don't want to get too aggressive to get the decals off.

It is not Photofinish.

Some of them show the natural grain. Some of them have a burl effect painted on under the toner and top coat.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I ended up refinishing the faceplate so the decals were not an issue. Normally I use 0000 steel wool very lightly on the old decals to remove them.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

OK thanks. That's what I did on the 42-322 I did but the decals were not on photo finish. Maybe they'll come off ok, if not I'll refinish it.

Don't worry, Bob. It's not photo finish. I used a dark walnut stain.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Oh... OK. It fooled me. Have to take a closer look tomorrow.