Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reasonable Offer for 16b Peaked Tombstone

There is an EvilPay listing for the above mentioned radio. It is fairly local to me, less than 1 hr, and the seller is willing to offer local pick up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VINTAG...5aead48a95

The BIN price is quite high @ $375, and I would like to make an offer and I was hoping for some guidance. I have the cathedral that I only paid $100 for, but I think that was just luck on my part. What says the Phorum brain trust, what's a realistic offer for this? I am attempting to collect all the 16b and 116 table models. Of them all, this one is my favorite cabinet.

Really, this appears to be in very good condition, and the unobtainium grille cloth is present and looks excellent.

This is one of Philco's best radios, and as such, commands a fair amount of respect even among those in the Brand Z crowd.

I say bite the bullet and pay the $375. It's worth it. The chassis appears to be exceptionally clean - I don't think I've ever seen any of those round tube shields that still had shiny tin plating on them. In this part of the country, those shields are always dull and often rusty.

And, yes, $100 for a 16B cathedral was a stroke of pure luck as they are worth much more, in the $300-450 range, easily.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I am in negotiations with the wife. She has agreed with two caveats... I have a Silvertone 6436 that I need to finish and sell. No biggie there, I have two of them. I also agreed to sell a brand Z 6S229 tombstone. Small price to pay for one of my bucket list radios.

A dozen roses and a beg for forgiveness is worth ten times asking for permission. If you want the D**n radio, buy it.

Never met my wife I see. Icon_wink I keep her happy and she doesn't give me too much grief when I drag another one home.

codefox1 Wrote:A dozen roses and a beg for forgiveness is worth ten times asking for permission. If you want the D**n radio, buy it.

Icon_lol Icon_thumbup Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just heard from the seller! I offered $300 for it and he took it! Picking it up today! Pictures to follow soon.

I am glad you got it-I also saw it and was starting to hover around it.
I had a nice one of these and traded it away for some labor done to an ebony brand Z set.

Just picked it up, it looks as good in person as it did in pictures! Can't wait to get it home!

Great news!! You won't be disappointed with it. The 16s I have always amaze me when ever I go back to them.

All right, that is great news! Icon_thumbup You won't be disappointed, I don't think.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Home safe and sound, here is my photobucket link.

http://s1267.beta.photobucket.com/user/L...0Tombstone

WOW!! Very nice condition! Your 16 is an earlier (1934) model. The only (minor) headache restoring it will be re-stuffing the electrolytic can. Sometimes the contents come right out, sometimes they don't.

There are several threads here in the Phorum that outline how to do the cans.

Thanks for the heads up. I also have a 16b cathedral I will be doing at the same time. I seriously underestimated the sheer size. The cathedral is a good size radio but this thing is a beast! Not quite sure where it is going to reside permanently, but there are far worse problems to have.

Ultimately I would like to have all the different cabinets on a shelf neatly lined up. That will be a long term project however. Thanks for the help and encouragement everyone!

If this was one of the usual as is sets you see on fleabay needing cabinet work and a refinish I would have said no, but this set looks like it was well looked after so $300 was probably a fair price. If there is anything wrong with the chassis it won't be from corrosion damage.
I still remember going around in circles with a no mind on the other forum about a similar priced (actuallly higher priced)16B set, except it looked like a POS, water damage to cabinet, rusty chassis. He thought I was high when I said it needed at least $200+ worth of work on the low end, "It only needs $20 worth of caps and resistors" he claimed, yah right! I guess we can assume that every tube, coil, and transformer is fine without checking, no thank you, not for $375 anyhow.
Regards
Arran