Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Grill Cloth Question

Aaron, I think you are totally missing the pricing. Your are correct, most fabrics come in various widths from a mill. If you read the post, they are quoting a price of $29 a yard for a 6" width if I read the post properly. It would be helpful to understand what the most efficient width would be. Certainly not 6" unless all you want to do are small radios and not consoles. The price is great if you figure you could perhaps 4 small radios out of a yard. Doesn't help consoles much with that width.
It would be nice if one of the "big" stores would jump in with orders they have had in the past for reference, buy in the widths they bought in and the number of yards they could sell. It would make it easier on the supplier to get large orders and easier on us (OK, more expensive) to buy from them and have them cut to various sizes.
Just my humble and naive opinion.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Actually I was wrong, the standard width of a roll of fabric is 54'', I should have remembered this, less standard is 36'' and 44-45''. As far as I know there isn't such a thing as a 6'' wide loom and in fact I don't see the point in producing such a narrow width fabric as most patterns have a repeat to them, so you could produce a fabric 54'' or 36'' wide and repeat a pattern every six inches, or 12'', or whatever. I suspect that the original grille cloth was made this way as it would not make sense to produce a 6'' wide grille cloth only for table sets on a special loom. It would also make more sense to have a run of grille cloth made that would accommodate both console and table models if possible.
Before anyone goes ahead with this I think it would be best to clarify EXACTLY what the lady at Wool Gatherers was quoting. Is the fabric 36'' wide and $29 per 6'' up the roll, otherwise known as $174 a yard, or is the fabric 6'' and $29 per yard up the roll?
Regards
Arran

Any news on this? I know the holidays happened and everyone was busy, etc.

Just wondered where this went.....

Me too Gorp.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I haven't heard a thing.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

My wife put the kybosh on grill cloth until after the holidays... Icon_sad
I will update as soon as I can, since mine Needs replacement.
I will also be offering the old one as soon as I can send it and get some info back if you guys want to cut it up for smaller projects. 85% of it is still good, clean and usable -just not on a big console -darn cats and unwashable blood stains...

Anything new on this? 3/29/13

We have an unwelcome houseguest Still lingering from Christmas and eating me out of house and home; so I had to make my own cloth on a 1970's craft loom for now.
Is anyone still interested in having her make some? I can only afford to pitch in maybe $40 -but it will be June by then as I must buy tubes first...

IT"S COMING BACK!!!!!!!
radiodaze is firing up the loom! TBA July

http://www.radiodaze.com/category/964.aspx?

John
Las Vegas, NV USA