Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Checking over the 38-22CS

Well I could resist taking a quick look at the innards of this new set. Got it apart which is kinda tricky to find that the p/s had been repaired. So I figured what the heck I put the juice to it and found that it was working in a fashion but the pilot lamp wasn't. That was a pain to fix as the dial assembly has to come apart too. Same old Philco problem hard rubber in the socket. Some shrink tube latter and about an hour to put it back together it's up and playing.
It needs all the paper caps, speaker/recone, rubber chassis mounts, a good cln & lub, and the cabinet needs refinishing. other than that it's like new!!!
I did take note that the wiring is cloth NOT rubber on this one!
Terry

Where would you send the speaker for re-coning?
Everyone I have contacted, says they don't have parts for the old ones.
Thanks

I'll have to take a look around seems like there is a guy in MD or VA that does it. I'm lucky on this it's a PM speaker no field coil so I could drop in a modern one if need be.
Terry

Isn't worth it to re cone a PM speaker unless you need museum quality restoration. Just make sure you get a replacement that is efficient enough for your output. Usually not much of an issue except with some battery sets that put out tiny amounts of power. They are fussy about impedence and efficiency.