Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Oops Moment

And the hits keep a coming.

[Just for the record I am working on four (4) different 42-PT95's, two (2) 46-200, a 48-200 and a 41-221]

I had just got back a 42-PT95 from having the tuner repaired, recalibrated and it was working terrific. I took the chassis out so I could put the handle back on [I removed it to refinish before I shipped it out for repair, and so it wouldn't be quite so bulky in the shipping box]

In anycase I put the handle back on and put the radio back into the case.

Now .... wait for it .... The radio is emmitting an annoying buzzing even when the volume is all the way down. Yes I still get radio stations but I also have buzz. Uggg !

Any thoughts. Did one of the electrolytic capacitors (which were replaced) go bad. A short ?

Would mind a laundry list of things to check.

I can believe the luck I am having. It is not like I am throwing these radios against the wall or using them in a balloon toss game.

I appreciate the help I am getting on the forum.

btw - This is the same radio in the following threads on this Phorum

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5387

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5423

I opened up the back, made sure all the tubes were seated properly, moved around the antenna wires. Plugged back in and the buzzing is gone. I will play the radio for several hours and see if all is still OK.

Sounds like either a tube was not completely seated OR you left something loose. I do that all the time.

Purpose for posting?

I don't know, I'm just funny like that......

It sounds to me like the leads to your loop antenna are not firmly soldered. Recheck. Otherwise, the buzzing will return, sooner or later.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Codefox, sorry I did not mean to clutter the airwaves and this entire post can be delete if found inappropriate. Initially I thought I had a problem, but then it cleared up. I am very new to this, still kind of stumbling along. Just trying to get some basic answers to some basic problems. When researching problems, I find the post by the "newbies" most helpful, because they are asking the same questions that I am thinking.

Ron, Thanks for the suggestion. I will check on the antenna leads and resolder [something that I am capable of doing].

No worries Winkydink your perfectly welcome to post for help, even if you end up answering your own question or fixing the issue yourself. It just might help someone else in the future.

CodeFox please let the Admin/Mods worry about if a user is just in posting to the site.

-Keith

Meant no harm, just curious. Always try to help if I can.

Codefox1

I took NO offense to your comments.

I am stumbling around a bit, trying to learn a thing or two and posting when I get stuck. Sometime (rarely though), I figure a thing or two out by myself or after more reading and research. You and the other Phorum members have been extremely helpful and patient for a newbie like myself.

I appreciate all the help that I have received on the Phorum and appreciate this site itself for all the valuable info contained within.

I am a little wiser today than I was a month ago, and look forward to learning more and getting into the more complicated issues of restoration.

I also restore telephones. I would have to say this is at least 50 times more complicated [and 1000x more dangerous if not careful] than telephone restoration.