Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I am looking for a Zenith...maybe....with the tuning eye

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1939-RCA-Vic...7490831%26
Terry

Thanks guys

I bought a Westinghouse a couple of weeks ago. A nice one. Very clean, but needs electrical restoration plus a dial cord is probably kaputt - no workie-workie.
I will make a photo maybe this weekend - right now I am too busy...

Cool! I look forward to seeing photos of it!

One cannot forbid people to be idiots....all one can do is try not to be one. -Morzh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230887000434?ssP...1423.l2649

Well, this is not the one I bought but the same model.
Mine is cleaner and looks better, though there seems to be some inherent problem with the knobs - - they are cracked here and one is a bit damaged in mine also in a similar way, having lost its ridges on the sides.

I did not get to downloading the pics off of my cam today; will try to do it one of these days.

It looks like an American Bosch built Westinghouse, Westinghouse had their sets built by RCA in the early 1930s and had them built by Stromberg Carlson in the late 30s after Bosch went under. I think sometime in the 1940s American Westinghouse started building their own sets again. The Canadian Westinghouse sets were all built by Canadian Westinghouse, so while some models are similar to Canadian RCA and Canadian G.E Models, others are entirely different.
You should be able to glue the knobs back together if you have all the pieces. Wooden knobs often have a problem with chips and cracking and I think these may be more prone to it because there just isn't that much material since they are small, thin, and concentric. I wouldn't mind getting one of these sets, they look like they would be a decent performer.
Regards
Arran

Arran

The thing is when these knobs crack the small pieces are not usually saved (probably was very long time ago too) so I have what I have now, no pieces.

Gosh.....somewhere in ole Russia I'd go to a local craftsman and he would for a bottle of "the white one" make me a sample that no expert would tell apart from the original. Icon_smile

Actually, not a bad idea....I have some connection in Russia radio world, might as well ask if they know someone.

There are some home craftsmen here too, I found one once to make a pair of legs for a 1928 Canadian Marconi Type 12 console I have, yet another unfinished restoration project. Unfortunately he wasn't interested in making a replacement knob for me, this set had two originally.
Regards
Arran

I saw that one on the bay. I REALLY LIKED the looks of it and almost bid.
GREAT CATCH!!!

I know I don't have any knobs that look like those.Icon_sad

Gene

Gene

THis is not the one I bought, I bought the same model, but privately. Paid a tad more, but it was worth it. It is in even better shape than the one on ebay. I guess the knobs are the weak spot. Also the dial string, but that should be doable.

OK, here are the pics of mine WR-212.

Front

Right side

Left side

Back

The damaged knob

--

All in all, very clean radio in excellent shape. Provided I fix it, it will make a heck of a gift!

A fine set. Westinghouse made a nice radio. Knob is a minor detail. Good luck. Blessings to Dad.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks Paul
I wish that be the Christmas gift but that ain't happenin', but I do hope I will be able to meet the birthday in March. Depends on how complex it is.

Westinghouse didn't do anything but put their name on the front and market it, the set was made by American Bosch. The example that Morzh bought has also been stripped and refinished, note the matte finish with no grain filler, and no decals. The good news is that the cabinet is in good shape other then the one chipped knob and the cracked one, the cracked one can be glued of course. It's a fairly simple cabinet so refinishing it near factory condition should be easy, it doesn't have a complicated grille or moldings.
Regards
Arran

That's a mighty nice looking set you decided on. Love the escutcheon and design details of it. I'm sure he will be thrilled with it when you are finished.

One cannot forbid people to be idiots....all one can do is try not to be one. -Morzh