Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first Zenith

I picked up a Zenith tabletop, Model 8S432 with the 5810 chassis. It had been sitting in a local antique joint for ever. Asking price was $65.00 "firm". I asked to test it, the owner said ok. It lights up, but that's it. Nothing else at all. However the cabinet is very good to excellent and it is only missing the tuning knob that sits behind the bandswitch, the dial cord and pointer. I offered $25.00 and he took it. First thing I have to say is was harder to dis-assemble than any Philco I have messed with, and when I turned it over to see what the components looked like.........HOLY CRAP! that thing is stuffed. I can't even see some of the components they are so buried in that little chassis. This one will be a real pain in the hiney to re-cap. Are all Zenith's that crammed tight with pieces/parts?

Bad photo of this radio sitting on top my 39-40 Philco...
[Image: http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t679...d55cab.jpg]

Many of the later table models were, yes. Your 8S432 is one of them.

Most of the ones I've serviced have had the large chassis consoles. Those the caps are like a bb in a boxcar, lots of room. Do have a 1940 table set that crammed + rubber wire!!! Pitb to service.
Terry

Yes, the larger chassis models, both table and console, were very spacious. Hmmm, for a guy that doesn't really care for Zeniths, I guess I have worked on a few of them......