Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-355

Newcomer/lurker......found a Philco 42-355 in decent condition. There are some stains on the upper curved part of the veneer. Can these be removed without a lot of sanding? It has all the buttons but I will need the plastic panel the buttons project through. The screws are all there it's just the plastic got brittle and broke where it holds the panel on the wood. Looking for that.
Mike

Hi and welcome!

Since this is a cabinet question, I moved it to Philco Cabinet Restoration.

It depends on which part of the upper curved part of the cabinet you are talking about. Bear in mind that the left and right edges are photofinish - strip that, and the "veneer" magically disappears! Icon_eek The center portion is real walnut veneer, though.

You don't want to do a lot of sanding - as little as possible, really - too much and you go through the veneer into the substrate. Try to avoid sanding if at all possible.

If you can post a photo of the cabinet, perhaps one of us can give you a better idea of what needs to be done to correct the problem.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The stain is on the center walnut section. I won't touch the end pieces now that I'm aware of the problem with that. I will shoot a pic and try to get it on the web site. I'M NOT GOOD with computers. Do the best I can.

Very good.

Instructions for posting photos to the Phorum may be found here:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=29

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4371

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here's the pic of the 42-355 stain.

Idaho, welcome to the Phorum. That stain doesn't look too bad. I would start by cleaning the top well with gojo hand cleaner, not the stuff with pumice, the cream stuff and see if it helps any. I had a top that someone had placed a plant that leaked on it and took away the whole finish to the wood. Tried to "patch" and color. Ended up just stripping the whole top. Came out nice. Of course there is the other option to buy a nice doily and put it on the top.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thanks....I will give the GoJo a try. There are so many directions the grain runs, I don't think I want to sand. The doily sound like a doable project.Icon_biggrin

Mike

Mike, you don't want to "sand". If you desire to refinish the top, tape off the rest of the radio and use a stripper or just some 0000 steel wool and lacquer thinner with good ventilation. It will come off easily without sanding damage to the thin veneer. A good wipe down with the thinner and a rag. Let it dry then perhaps a little light buffing with the 0000 steel wool to get any residue off.
From there, many ways to go to get the color proper and a nice finish.
Good luck.
Jerry

Edit: adding a link, you may have to go through a few pages but shows how I handled the terrible pot stain on my Philco 111.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...046&page=2

Thanks for the info. Heading to Home Depot for the steel wool. I will let you know how it comes out. My hope is to get the stain light enough that I can just shoot the top with Varathane or something like it without having to redo the "Philco" decal.

Would a vodka rub be appropriate or practical on this water stain? I've used that with some success on my dining room table.

That is the best suggestion I have heard so far. Maybe I could use some Pendleton Whiskey from Hood River distilleries? It will already have the correct color and if it goes wrong for some reason I could use it medicinally.
Film at eleven.Icon_smileIcon_smile

You're supposed to rub it on the wood, not your throat. ;)

Seriously, though, vodka has removed fresh water rings from my dining room table. The theory is that the alcohol in it is supposed to help the water evaporate, though I suspect it may well be a more a case of redistributing the finish after using the alcohol as a solvent. I'm waiting to hear from the pros on the Phorum on this little house-spouse trick.

WOW!! Rubbed the veneer lightly with 0000 steel wool, removed the dust, then wiped it down with a white cloth dampened with acetone. Buffed it while still damp. It worked perfectly - thank you very much.

Attached Files Image(s)

Icon_thumbup

Another great lesson learned by me! That really worked well in that it was more of a stain than a lifting of the finish. I will certainly keep that in mind and a jug of vodka on the ready.
Jerry