Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Signal Generator and Frequency Counter

I am in the process of purchasing a used restored (recapped, tubes checked out, aligned, tested) signal generator for alignment of AM tube radios.

I settled on a Eico 324 Signal Generator after looking at several threads on the Phorum.

Do I also need a frequency counter as well and what (beside checking the signal generator) would the frequency counter be used for.

If it is something that is needed can I get some suggestions regarding either a cheap new or reliable used frequency counter. I might want to add this as a late entry on my Christmas list.

Thanks.

I use it every time I use the signal generator. This ensures you are right on the IF. I aligned a 42-340 without one and it came out ok, but then I purchased a frequency counter and found the generator was off by 10. So I did it again, and what a difference it made. So I say go for it, they are fairly inexpensive.

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

+1 what Glenn advised. The frequency cunte ensures that you are right on the frequency you need to have.

There are several inexpensive models that are good instruments, start with eBay.