Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 20

Just bought one of these at a local shop. Case in great condition but they did not know if the electronics worked. Replaced the cord and electrolytics in the metal can before powering on. Also verified tubes and found 80 and 71 tubes were swapped - could have been messy. I then powered on and did hear some life coming out - no stations yet - but I will work on that.

I do have a question on the other metal can condensers. The 3583 and 3557 metal Bypass condensers are showing in the Philco as having a working voltage of 1200V - has anyone replaced these and do you know if I need to replace them with 1200v ratings or will 600V suffice? I'll post pics shortly.

So where are they located electrically?? On the no station problem I'll bet you've got some open rf coils. Seem to be a common problem with the early sets. Also the audio driver transformer is anther go place to look for a problem.
GL
Terry

As far as I remember (Philco 20 was the first radio I restored) there are no caps there that need to be 1200V.
600WV rating is sufficient anywhere in the 20.