Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Boy Oh Boy did I screw up

I have a Philco 16 cabinet Icon_smile , I put veneer over the top and down the sides, that worked out fine Icon_smile . Then I smothed out the finish and I got some behlem water base grain filler neutral Icon_think . I put it on and let it dry. I thought neutral would dry clear but it did not it dried sorta white gray Icon_cry . Toner will not cover the white streaks, stain did not cover the white streaks. The cabinet looks like a zebra or the great speckled bird. How can I get the grain filler off the cabinet Icon_eh . I have ordered some walnut grain filler, will it cover the white stuff? The veneer turned out very good I used the Ron iron on way. A am in need of help I said I would not try again but Icon_e_sad. Any help will be appreciated
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Joe, if I am reading your post right, you you have already tried to stain the filler. If not, I would try that, but only if the veneer was sealed before you applied the filler. I don't know any way to remove the filler. If the stain doesn't work, I think, your options are: 1 Veneer over veneer. I have never tried this but if you have a good bond on the first veneer, it might be worth a try. 2 Remove veneer and re-veneer. If you have a good bond on your veneer, this would be extremely difficult. 3 Replace the wrap-around. This is not as hard as it sounds and would probably be my first choice.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Joe

You should have read this long thread first, beginning on this page:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...730&page=4

Been there, done that.

As Steve said, you can stain the stuff with walnut stain. But just don't put any Crystalac on top of it, else the stain will bloom! Don't ask how I know this.

Oh, and you can remove the filler by rubbing with the grain, using 0000 steel wool dipped in straight acetone. You must use thick rubber gloves when doing this! Acetone is not healthy for you when it gets on your skin, and the fumes are not really good for you either, so this must be done outdoors.

Edit: You didn't order Behlens water-based walnut filler, did you? That stuff is pure crap. It will dry way too light, also. Only Constantines walnut wood filler (oil-based) will look right. Crystalac works also, but is a royal pain to apply and to get it looking right.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi
I will try the acetone and steel wool to remove the first wood filler. Well Ron that is what I put on (belhens water-base) that I will be removing. I ordered some constantines oil based walnut wook filler. I will try the constantines after I get the Belhens off.
But will wait until after the Holdiays. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas to all.
Joe

How did it go? I seem to be a minority on this issue, but I would have gone ahead and sanded it almost down to bare veneer with some 320 grit paper and gone ahead and resealed with one of the products already mentioned.

Hi
I have not tried anything yet. Had to take time away from radio work, the wife had to have her left knee replaced. It has been a painful thing for her. I don't know when I will get back on it. Will let all know when I get it done.
Joe